Preventing Carrot maggots?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Does anybody know any successful methods for preventing those carrot maggots that tunnel through carrot roots? Perhaps some herb that can be a companion planting?

I'm hoping for an organic method, but I would be curious as to what could be done either way.

They didn't get very many of my carrots, but it's just a pain in the butt to cut around them. And they're yucky! :sick

Thanks!

mabaker

Sprout
Reaction score
Have you tried planting a row of common marigolds for every two rows of carrots? It works well for me & keeps carrot fly away as well. Not to mention the pretty flowers in between the carrot leaves - looks great!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oooh, that would be pretty! I've used carrot tops to fill in arrangements before.

Thanks for the tip, mabaker, and :welcome ! :)

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I had heard that if you sprinkle used coffee grounds around your carrot beds, the carrot rust fly that lays the maggots (that do the damage), can't smell the carrot greens. The smell is apparently what attracts them. I suspect the marigolds may do the same masking effect.

Garden cloth is still the best preventative as far as I know.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Hattie had all of these garden videos up last winter--do a "carrot" search) and one of them said to plant your carrots in containers up to 18 inches off of the ground. They said that the carrot fly is low lying, and you can avoid them this way. Hope this helps!! :D

Hollywood Gardens

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I read that shallots keep away maggots and carrot fly and many other pests, so I am going to try growing shallots with the carrots this season.