Price increases and shortages

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
See the odd thing is all the Halloween candy has come in as normal. It’s all the year round stuff that’s been running short🤔

i think most of the candy is made in the USoA, it would be the toys, decorations, costumes and things for this coming holiday season (TG and Christmas) that might be more backed up at the ports.

i dunno what else is going on, but i heard today that the Kelloggs cereal plants are on strike so that might be another interesting event to add to the mix. i'm glad i like oatmeal and change that up easily depending upon my mood and what we have on hand.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
i should have mentioned that one of the stores we visited yesterday was a Bed, Bath and Beyond (looking for a decent ironing board) and we found one, guess where it was made?

Turkey!

while standing at the front waiting for Mom to find a scented candle i was looking at some decorative pillows for Halloween, they were made in?

India!
Last year when everything was getting scarce, fabric at Joann's was too and most of what I used to buy was from China but they started getting it from Pakistan but there is still China fabric.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year when everything was getting scarce, fabric at Joann's was too and most of what I used to buy was from China but they started getting it from Pakistan but there is still China fabric.
I was at Joann's yesterday, and it was EMPTY. I literally walked out with NOTHING, because there was nothing to buy that I wanted. I think that the China block may be part of it since most of the beads in the Jewelry section come from China now (ever since China more or less drove India out of the bead market).

What is semi-ironic is that, since some of the beads I was looking for are Halloween themed, by the time they DO get here they may not be put out*

The bags of glass beads I was after have been gone for at least six months now, but I think the company was using up an old stockpile, and that may have finally been exhausted**

Michael's is more or less the same story, I don't think I've found anything significant in over a year (though it could just be that styles have changed, and I don't like the new stuff)***

*Then again, I saw strands of the summer themed beads still out, so maybe they aren't all that careful about that.

** I suspect the material in the bags dates from circa 2008, since 1. I sometimes find bead types that my bead expert friend says date from that time and are no long made and 2. There are quite a few beads in the bags celebrating the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

*** I think they have stopped carrying the bead "arcs" I used to use (that had a mix of Chinese and Indian material.). And ever since they replaced the dragonfly millefiori beads I used so much with painted ones; I won't buy them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since I had Covid, cereal tasted like hay with milk and lots of sugar and I don't even buy the sugary stuff.

I really haven't shopped. I've run in for a few things and got back out.
What cereal product isn’t loaded with sugar? Except for Saturday (splurge day) I eat old fashioned oat meal. People won’t consume products that aren’t sugar loaded. & “no sugar added“ is a conmans dream-it’s already loaded with products high in sugar so, no, they don’t have to add more....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What cereal product isn’t loaded with sugar? Except for Saturday (splurge day) I eat old fashioned oat meal. People won’t consume products that aren’t sugar loaded. & “no sugar added“ is a conmans dream-it’s already loaded with products high in sugar so, no, they don’t have to add more....
I just bought some tortillas. Going to brown a pound of home grown pork sausage and put it in the refrigerator. Then I can put a heaping tablespoon in a small skillet, break and egg, scramble together and wrap it in a tortilla. Phooey on cereal, I like oatmeal too and always keep it on hand.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was at Joann's yesterday, and it was EMPTY. I literally walked out with NOTHING, because there was nothing to buy that I wanted. I think that the China block may be part of it since most of the beads in the Jewelry section come from China now (ever since China more or less drove India out of the bead market).

What is semi-ironic is that, since some of the beads I was looking for are Halloween themed, by the time they DO get here they may not be put out*

The bags of glass beads I was after have been gone for at least six months now, but I think the company was using up an old stockpile, and that may have finally been exhausted**

Michael's is more or less the same story, I don't think I've found anything significant in over a year (though it could just be that styles have changed, and I don't like the new stuff)***

*Then again, I saw strands of the summer themed beads still out, so maybe they aren't all that careful about that.

** I suspect the material in the bags dates from circa 2008, since 1. I sometimes find bead types that my bead expert friend says date from that time and are no long made and 2. There are quite a few beads in the bags celebrating the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

*** I think they have stopped carrying the bead "arcs" I used to use (that had a mix of Chinese and Indian material.). And ever since they replaced the dragonfly millefiori beads I used so much with painted ones; I won't buy them.
My store is pretty full. There are a lot of things out of stock, but available to order on line. I started using Amazon for a few things. I never look at the bead section, except a couple of years ago DD was interested in essential oils and I made a couple of bracelets. I bought a lot of fabric last year when things did get kind of scarce and they came back and when they had good sales.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just bought some tortillas. Going to brown a pound of home grown pork sausage and put it in the refrigerator. Then I can put a heaping tablespoon in a small skillet, break and egg, scramble together and wrap it in a tortilla. Phooey on cereal, I like oatmeal too and always keep it on hand.
I credit oatmeal (& hi fiber diet-whole wheat, beans) to weight loss, off of cholesterol meds and avoided diabetes meds. Luckily I like it.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I credit oatmeal (& hi fiber diet-whole wheat, beans) to weight loss, off of cholesterol meds and avoided diabetes meds. Luckily I like it.
Really? I just read something about high fiber and weight loss. Did you keep track of how much fiber? Did you eat meat too? I eat oatmeal for breakfast, but I know I am not eating enough fiber the rest of the day.

Latest posts