Price increases and shortages

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dollar’s value comes from it being the petrodollar. Meaning that countries around the world must exchange their currency for American dollars to buy oil and gas. High demand creates value.

Russia is now demanding that countries pay Russia in rubles, not petrodollars. China bought oil from Saudi Arabia and did not use the petrodollar. The petrodollar empire is beginning to come apart and no one is paying attention.

@Gardening with Rabbits you have already found better things to do with your mind. You may not be able to do much about a lot of it, but being aware, you might be better able to face hard times. Look up Breton Woods and petrodollar, they go hand in hand.
The only thing I am upset with is with myself for not settling down with land and having a place paid for when this happened. I have been thinking and planning for this since I was in my early 20s. The feeling of wanting to stock up and be self-sufficient. I know all about the petrodollar and what is going on and I did not hear that on television. I do not watch television. I feel the world is being run by children other than one who is not going to take it and he is going to cause untold mayhem, Putin I am talking about. He is not a child and he is not playing by the rules. This payment in rubles is going to be something else. I know people stocking food and I agree with all that, but I keep thinking of after that is used up, what will be needed. For sure one thing will be health and able to work hard.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just bought a place today. In Vancouver WA. 2.61 acres on a slight hill, with no upscale homes around it, if you know what I mean. I see an alpaca and some old horses in some of the places. I'll bet there will be protection there....

I'm getting ready even at the old age of 67, to try to sustain myself as best I can, given hubs diagnosis and health. First thing we will do is to fence it. And a gate.
Amazing and congratulations!!!!!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dollar’s value comes from it being the petrodollar. Meaning that countries around the world must exchange their currency for American dollars to buy oil and gas. High demand creates value.

Russia is now demanding that countries pay Russia in rubles, not petrodollars. China bought oil from Saudi Arabia and did not use the petrodollar. The petrodollar empire is beginning to come apart and no one is paying attention.

they tried that but the contracts were written with payments in dollars and not rubles. so for the moment that's not flown. Russia can try all they want but they are a small economy compared to the USoA, Uk, Japan, Aussieland, etc.

let's do some math: GDP USoA 23 trillion, Europe is about the same, Japan is 5.4 trillion, Aussieland is 1.4 trillion. So put the the western democracies and allies in the realm of 60-100 Trillion GDP (very roughly estimated)

Russia is 1.8 trillion GDP and how many allies?

Saudi's 900 billion GDP

China is on the sidelines with about 15 trillion GDP.

i'll put the list of top 10 countries at the bottom.

yes there are some talking about valuing oil in other currencies. ok with me. if that forces our government to be more responsible and to pay off more debt then that would be a good thing too, but then everyone will complain about paying higher taxes. pick what you want, it won't make everyone happy no matter how it goes.

@Gardening with Rabbits you have already found better things to do with your mind. You may not be able to do much about a lot of it, but being aware, you might be better able to face hard times. Look up Breton Woods and petrodollar, they go hand in hand.

being aware doesn't hurt, but posting messages about the petrodollar without giving some context doesn't really help either. notice none of the petrol pumping countries are on the list of the top 10 besides the USoA? the UK and Canada both get some oil revenues, i'm not sure any of the others are big oil producers in comparison. in other words i think it's a small bump compared to the majority and i don't see it making that much difference. it's just another issue various groups try to stir things up about, but when you actually look into it you realize they're just making noise to push their wider agenda.

GDP Trillions Per capita
Earnings
United States$20.89$20.89-3.6%$63,413.5
China$14.72$24.272.3%$10,434.8
Japan$5.06$5.25-4.6%$40,193.3
Germany$3.85$4.52-4.6%$46,208.4
United Kingdom$2.76$3.08-9.7%$41,124.5
India$2.66$8.97-7.3%$1,927.7
France$2.63$3.15-7.9%$39,030.4
Italy$1.89$2.49-8.9%$31,714.2
Canada$1.64$1.83-5.3%$43,258.2
South Korea$1.64$2.24-0.9%$31,631.5

Last edited:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear the news more and more saying the dollar might or will collapse. I wonder just how bad things could be. Take a wheelbarrow of dollars to buy a loaf of bread? High taxes? High prices? No jobs? No oil? Electric bills sky high? No fertilizer? No shoes from China? Riots? Burning cities? Crime out of control? People raiding gardens and killing cattle? Stealing chickens? How can anybody stock up enough to face this? Turn into Venezuela? I see people just stocking up all kinds of food but when it runs out then have to face the world and how can you stock up food and eat like a rich person and know family members or neighbors are hungry? I heard some of our great leaders saying we do not need so many choices of products on the shelves. We need to be on the same level as some of those villages that do not have a thermostat set at 70 or have a thermostat at all. Share our wealth, but it will only last a little while and then everything collapses and again, somebody has to plant seeds and run the tractors and use the gas and oil to take the food to the stores and stock the shelves with something or rich and poor, white and all colors will die.

I'm worried about a situation where family members and neighbors are going hungry. My solution to this was to make garden bags, with enough seeds in each to start off a small garden, and offer them for free to everyone in my buy nothing group.

Everyone in my area has a chance to do something for themselves. It's less tempting to steal your neighbors cabbage when you've got cabbage of your own. If they're hungry cause they turned up their nose at seeds but now want the finished product, I can feel a bit less sorry for them. >_>

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just bought a place today. In Vancouver WA. 2.61 acres on a slight hill, with no upscale homes around it, if you know what I mean. I see an alpaca and some old horses in some of the places. I'll bet there will be protection there....

I'm getting ready even at the old age of 67, to try to sustain myself as best I can, given hubs diagnosis and health. First thing we will do is to fence it. And a gate.
Congratulations! How exciting!!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

Congratulations on your purchase. What plans do you have for it? Putting up a house/barn? Moving?
I’ll be 67 myself in another month. I’m buying 25 acres so I can indulge in a larger flock of sheep. I have to build fence, barn, all that fun stuff. I’m using sheep and goat wire, 4”x4” holes. I’m biting off a lot, but what the heck.

If you don’t mind my asking, what is your husband’s diagnosis? Sorry that he has health problems.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has a house on it and it was remodeled down to the studs in 2017. New roof - everything. It has a fab chicken coop and a fenced garden . Most of the acreage is clear. Huge shop for hubs and all his "stuff". He has been diagnosed with the beginning signs of dementia. We go to a neurologist in June right before we move up there (4.5 hours north). Will create "new memories" for him plus we'll be 10 min from DD. We'll put this house on the rental market. If @bobm is still around with us here, I'll get to meet him!!

Eight offers, five of them full cash. We paid way too much, but its my last home until I die or go into assisted living.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has a house on it and it was remodeled down to the studs in 2017. New roof - everything. It has a fab chicken coop and a fenced garden . Most of the acreage is clear. Huge shop for hubs and all his "stuff". He has been diagnosed with the beginning signs of dementia. We go to a neurologist in June right before we move up there (4.5 hours north). Will create "new memories" for him plus we'll be 10 min from DD. We'll put this house on the rental market. If @bobm is still around with us here, I'll get to meet him!!

Eight offers, five of them full cash. We paid way too much, but its my last home until I die or go into assisted living.
Activity will be good for him and may help stave off the inevitable for a time. If you don’t already use turmeric, you might want to look into it. Alzheimer’s and dementia is practically unknown in India, where turmeric is heavily used in cooking.

I make a paste with coconut oil, take a heaping teaspoon and wash it down with something to drink. I use it as a pain reliever, it reduces inflammation. In about 30 minutes I feel the pain draining away.

I’m glad y’all got this place. It will be good for both of you and being that close to your DD is an added bonus.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Activity will be good for him and may help stave off the inevitable for a time. If you don’t already use turmeric, you might want to look into it. Alzheimer’s and dementia is practically unknown in India, where turmeric is heavily used in cooking.

I make a paste with coconut oil, take a heaping teaspoon and wash it down with something to drink. I use it as a pain reliever, it reduces inflammation. In about 30 minutes I feel the pain draining away.

I’m glad y’all got this place. It will be good for both of you and being that close to your DD is an added bonus.
This might be useful to both of you then. This kind is supposed to have an extra high concentration of cucurmin (the active ingredient). They seem to be running out for the season though, so you probably want to move quickly.

https://www.burlapandbarrel.com/collections/turmeric/products/red-turmeric

The company sells two other turmerics as well, one noted for it's warmth and sweetness (which might be good if your actually planning to use it for cooking), and the rare blue turmeric of Vietnam, which apparently tastes completely different.

@Rhodie Ranch, you said Vancouver, Washington, right? One of my major bead sellers on eBay is there. It'll be nice to know that, should I ever have a problem with them, I have a local person who might, theoretically be able to handle it person to person (bearing in mind I have no idea how LARGE Vancouver Washington is, so I don't know if I am asking you to hop across town or across a major city!)

Latest posts