Price increases and shortages

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner agree 100%. I’d like to see pollution numbers by state-after deleting carbon credits bought from compliant states. Some states don’t want to give up there life style instead, affect ours.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner agree 100%. I’d like to see pollution numbers by state-after deleting carbon credits bought from compliant states. Some states don’t want to give up there life style instead, affect ours.
There is a money incentive as well. If a lot of your money flow relies on the use of your natural resources, one those resources are no longer needed, your economy is going to tank. Thank what would happen to the Middle East if everyone suddenly STOPPED needing oil (actually, that is a double bind for them, as their oil is also their primary leveraging tool to let them get away with their human rights violations, so no oil, no buffer against the questions and possible invasions.) Texas has an INCENTIVE to keep people using oil, as does Alaska (California does as well, since they also have a lot of oil, but they seem to be okay with losing that revenue stream.) Pennsylvania has an incentive to keep people using coal. The Pacific Northwest would probably take a major hit if no one needed wood anymore. And the day when someone works out electronics that DON'T need rare earth metals, China is going to have a BIG problem.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Perspective can be hard to come by when you are busy doing other things. I try to keep up but have to digest what others say and figure out if they are worth listening to or should I move along. This fellow always gets my attention. Since yall are covering some of the points he presents in a more comprehensive way I thought you might enjoy this video. There are more current ones but this 2015-16 video allows great perpective and reflection on current times. He even predicts the Ukrainian war.

Last edited:

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@Dirtmechanic I was just giving you some grief. Obviously I missed mark on trying to funny.
Its ok, I was really being serious and on topic in part because I import from other countries and I spend time worrying about my work supply chain and well as personal consumption supply chain since they are really the two sides of my own coin. I learned from The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy that I should always have a towel. Its very useful when your jokes make me snort my coffee!

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Its ok, I was really being serious and on topic in part because I import from other countries and I spend time worrying about my work supply chain and well as personal consumption supply chain since they are really the two sides of my own coin. I learned from The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy that I should always have a towel. Its very useful when your jokes make me snort my coffee!
And, of course, "Don't Panic!" is pretty good advice as well.

One slightly funny effect of all of these shortages is that my parents are no longer berating me, for filling up half the basement with stored honey (they kept saying that, while they think my mead making is a perfectly acceptable endeavor, there is only so much space they can devote to supplies. But ever since the supply issues, fresh honey supplies have dried up, so I'm actually FINALLY working down my backlog (I REALLY wish I had space to do more jugs at a time [my cousin has tons left from his early wine experiments, and will give me as many as I need) Tying up everything I have for three months per run gets tedious).

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And, of course, "Don't Panic!" is pretty good advice as well.

One slightly funny effect of all of these shortages is that my parents are no longer berating me, for filling up half the basement with stored honey (they kept saying that, while they think my mead making is a perfectly acceptable endeavor, there is only so much space they can devote to supplies. But ever since the supply issues, fresh honey supplies have dried up, so I'm actually FINALLY working down my backlog (I REALLY wish I had space to do more jugs at a time [my cousin has tons left from his early wine experiments, and will give me as many as I need) Tying up everything I have for three months per run gets tedious).
I am a fan of eccentric thinking that is outside the standard deviations. Maybe it is stress relief? Anyway I read this work of an author by the name of Michael Pollan called "The Botany of Desire". In it he reframed my childhood by describing Johnny Appleseed as a liquor store salesman pushing hard cider. His point was the question of how the apple spread its seeds across vast areas via co-operation with drunken settlers in new lands.

Your mead is the stuff of historical legends. It is also proof you are being controlled by bees. After all there are so many of them with a purpose now because of you. Just look what they have you doing as a beekeeper.

Perhaps you would enjoy working for rice plants as well? Saki is nice and easy to make. So is vodka. I was shocked to learn how few vodka recipes used potatoes. It seems I was wrong when I thought countries raised so much rice just for food. Those shifty rice plants! How they must talk and plan whilst bathing underwater!

I am glad you are concerned with the health and well bee-ing of those cute bugs They make my garden prosper. Thanks!

Last edited:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your mead is the stuff of historical legends. It is also proof you are being controlled by bees. After all there are so many of them with a purpose now because of you. Just look what they have you doing as a beekeeper.
You over flatter me. I may be good, but I am no mead master; not yet. If I WAS, I probably wouldn't have around an ultimate 50% failure rate in making it (when you consider how many batches never make it to bottling, and how many more wind up getting dumped post-ageing.) AND I'd actually know how to rack properly, so I could get four bottles out of a gallon instead of three. I can make great stuff, but even I can't predict what will go right and what will go wrong (it is hardly uncommon for one bottle or jug to pass in the end, and another from the exact same batch to fail.)

And while I am grateful to the bees, I'm no beekeeper, all of my honey is bought, not made on my watch (since I pretty much deal exclusively with exotic and tropical honeys, they really CAN'T be up here.) I'm just willing to get creative, plus smart enough to know when thins are too risky to try (for example, even though I have a lot of Manuka honey, I won't make a batch out of it, since that honey is medicinal, and an overdose in a glass might be dangerous. And I would not even THINK of trying with "Mad Honey"; if a teaspoon can make you hallucinate, then a glassful would probably kill you.)

It's all just fairly ordinary honey, from fairly ordinary bees (well, except for the time I got my hands on some Balinese honey collected from the native Balinese Giant Honeybee)

Perhaps you would enjoy working for rice plants as well? Saki is nice and easy to make. So is vodka. I was shocked to learn how few vodka recipes used potatoes. It seems I was wrong when I thought countries raised so much rice just for food. Those shifty rice plants! How they must talk and plan whilst bathing underwater!
It'd have to be upland grown rice, there are WAY too many mosquitoes around here to contemplate making a rice paddy (even our shade garden pool hasn't run since long before we got the house, and is full of soil.)

My interest in rice is largely confined to the black "forbidden" kind (plus maybe that kind that is native to Africa, since I understand that is endangered).

And I suppose, one day, the mysterious grass head that came up the last time I tried to plant the rice grains I found in my searches will eventually break, and I will take its seeds and re-plant them to try and get more (this mystery grass is hard to describe. The best way I can is to imagine what it would look like if you took unhulled rice grains and stuck them into the "forks" on the seed head of a head of Sicilian Ryegrass.)

I am glad you are concerned with the health and well bee-ing of those cute bugs They make my garden prosper. Thanks!
Usually, not always. If a bee gets near me, I'll shoo it away same as anyone else. And if it actually stings me, I'd slap it without much thought (though of course, if it did sting me, it'd be a dead bee walking in any case)

There IS also a case where I MAY have messed up some scientist's experiment by accident. Once, in NYC, I caught an all black honeybee in a glass vial and took it back home for my insect collection. It wasn't 'till I GOT home (and the bee was dead) I noticed the number painted on its thorax, so it was being monitored by someone in some study. So that's one data point that scientist lost.

I am also just as grateful to the sweat bees around, especially the ones that built a nest many years ago under my strawberry plants (the provided excellent pollination AND an extra line of animal and bird defense.)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
30M cars, black outs due to electric shortages, how will they get to work when there isn’t enough electric or infrastructure to handle the load now? Obviously major improvements have to be made at whose expense? Tax payers? How are Cali taxes now?
Will it kill tourism as only electric cars allowed-gas stations can’t survive on tourists cars only so they will be out of business. Then what will they do to make a living?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The fellow in this article is a person I really enjoy. He is vertically aligned in the food business and grocery stores as well as the oil industry mentioned in this article. Googling his name and watching his interviews will make you smart and attractive.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/oil-billionaire-only-one-fix-180000872.html

He has podcasts:

This link is just about me cackling to myself in an observational way about Saturday Night Live and all the late night talk shows becoming extensions of the problem:

Last edited:

Latest posts