Price increases and shortages

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
The new law will also affect chicken and veal though not to the same extent. I also imagine the shortage of pork will spike the prices of other kinds of meat since the people who eat California’s monthly average of 255 million pounds of pork a month will have to replace with another type of meat or protein.
Will just raise the price of meat as producers will adapt to complying with the new regs and charge significantly more for it. Think “organic” that is organic as regular produce..... in “organic” industry there are many, many loop holes that IF you can’t supply with approved practices, you may substitute another practice. Like animals are fed GMO corn straight from local market because there is no “organic feed”. Yet, still charge inflated prices.....of well, someone is making a living that is not government pay roll....

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
they needed a new one now that weed is legal. gotta keep them prisons full!
Actually, now that I think of it, decent quality bacon has been in short supply and high price here too. But then again, bacon has ALWAYS been expensive and good bacon always rare. I paid $36 last weekend for two packs (but those were heritage, and from a farmers market*.) My go to brand has been in short supply recently as well (it's always been sort of spotty in distribution, but recently, I've barely seen ANYTHING. I can of course always get on the web and make an order to Broadbent, but I don't feel like bankrupting myself right now! (then again, since the stuff Broadbent sells doesn't need to be refrigerated until it is opened, having a pack or two on hand could be handy in an emergency.

*and the one I have had so far was like bland leather.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
$36 for two packs? Hopefully each package weighs 4-5 pounds.

I’m a Neanderthal so I don’t get difference between heritage breed vs Hamp, York, etc.... I do understand differences in how they are fed and to what weight.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lately I've noticed my local store has been having a shortage on meats, particularly chicken. The aisle still looks full, but they've taken non-meat frozen items and used them to fluff out the chicken section, which is now only half full at any given time.

If there is a true chicken shortage this won't be a problem for me, but unlucky for the chickens in my backyard.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We haven’t been able to find chicken wings this week. It’s not odd for there to be a low supply since they aren’t terribly popular in my area but normally there are at least some of those horrificly expensive ones in a brand Ibe never seen but they were even out of those this week!

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
$36 for two packs? Hopefully each package weighs 4-5 pounds.

I’m a Neanderthal so I don’t get difference between heritage breed vs Hamp, York, etc.... I do understand differences in how they are fed and to what weight.
I doubt each pack weighed even 1 pound. They claim to be Mangalista, that weird wooly pig that everyone says is so good.

And, of course, what and how they are cured/smoked matters even more.

Not that I am much better. I can't really tell the difference between pork and wild boar in taste (well, between pork and farm raised wild boar, I imagine that FULLY wild boar probably tastes so gamey I couldn't get it down.)

I suppose it is a bit like when I once wondered what Aurochs (wild bull, now extinct) tasted like. Someone pointed out that, even if one WERE able to bring them back from extinction, being farm raised would probably make them taste more or less the same as beef does now. In fact, probably the closest thing to the taste of actual aurochs now would be some of those feral cattle that exist in Australia (though even there, you'd have differences due to changes in genes and a differing diet due to the different flora) .

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey you and my husband could be related! 23 and Me DNA said he is 3% Neanderthal, higher percentage than most people. :lol: :lol:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose it is a bit like when I once wondered what Aurochs (wild bull, now extinct) tasted like. Someone pointed out that, even if one WERE able to bring them back from extinction, being farm raised would probably make them taste more or less the same as beef does now. In fact, probably the closest thing to the taste of actual aurochs now would be some of those feral cattle that exist in Australia (though even there, you'd have differences due to changes in genes and a differing diet due to the different flora) .

i have never knowingly had wild boar meat so i can't say much about that other than someone shot a wild pig about 3 miles from us that was well over 300lbs and that you can shoot them on sight without a license in MI, but you need permission of the landowner to hunt, on public land it's open season. there are some licensing requirements if you are out in the woods during the various seasons so i'd make sure to know what the regulations are anyways before hunting. i don't have a gun that big, but if someone were to shoot some and cook it up i'd give it a try.

we were raised on grass fed beef so i'm used to that taste and it doesn't bother me but some people are so used to grain feed finished beef these days that they can't cope with grass fed being so different.

Latest posts