Price increases and shortages

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back in the dark ages when I worked with hogs (swine), they gave us young boar meat to try. I was talking to my landlord-an older hog farmer-who told me that he could smell the difference between good pork and boar meat. I had a ham in the oven and he commented it smelled good. I gave him a piece to try. He said it was good. I started laughing and he asked, I suppose this is boar meat? They butchered boars when they weighed between 220-250.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Restaurant supply chains are having a tough time filling orders for their customers. A Cash & Carry (now called US Foods Chef's store) in Bothel WA had empty shelves. Confirmed by the Asst Manager. A FB friend in Kitsap County WA also confirmed that her US Foods store had empty shelves.

Down here two long time busy restaurants closed for good. They could not find enough employees nor could they guarantee their orders from their foodservice distributors. Chik filet (sp?) closed here for four days, to give their employees, who have been on OT for weeks, paid time off. Plus they couldn't get any deliveries of some of their packets that they offer to customers (catsup, etc). Why be open when all you'll do is disappoint your customers?

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DD works at Walmart, the biggest one in a town with 3 of them. She said hers is always out of meat. Usually some chicken left, but hardly anything else.

I go to the smaller Wmart of the 3. Plenty of meat there, but the tp has gone up $2 for large pack. I haven't bought any in a while, but sheesh. All you do is throw it away! LOL

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD works at Walmart, the biggest one in a town with 3 of them. She said hers is always out of meat. Usually some chicken left, but hardly anything else.

I go to the smaller Wmart of the 3. Plenty of meat there, but the tp has gone up $2 for large pack. I haven't bought any in a while, but sheesh. All you do is throw it away! LOL

if the price gets too rediculous it would be time to get out the hose and towel or a wash cloth or perhaps even start growing some plants that are well suited to that use. we have some mullein that would work well... rhubarb probably would not work...

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Things are running short again here. Lots of local stores and the ones in the city have been completely out of chocolate, chocolate chips, baking chocolate, even m&ms and candy bars made with chocolate. The only Walmart in the county has put dairy on a 1 item per household restriction. We managed to get bread but all 3 loafs from different brands went bad within 2 days. I’m probably going to have to start baking my own bread again. Lots of other stuff has been really low quality or completely out of date.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Things are running short again here. Lots of local stores and the ones in the city have been completely out of chocolate, chocolate chips, baking chocolate, even m&ms and candy bars made with chocolate. The only Walmart in the county has put dairy on a 1 item per household restriction. We managed to get bread but all 3 loafs from different brands went bad within 2 days. I’m probably going to have to start baking my own bread again. Lots of other stuff has been really low quality or completely out of date.

coming up on Halloween time so candy will likely be in short supply.

we did our monthly shopping run yesterday and found some shelves showing signs of needing restocking, but there was food available.

for breads we were looking for some French loaves but they didn't have any of those so we got Italian instead viva la difference ciao baby.

we did stock up on baking supplies and had to visit a different store for the maraschino cherries. bread flour and all purpose flour were in stock at the last store so we didn't have to go out of our way. the first place i stopped just for me was to get a bottle of Mushroom flavored soy sauce but Mom won't go in there herself because it is a tiny store and it is packed full of strange things and strange people. i like it in there, always something interesting to look at and think about "What would I do with this?". :)

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
coming up on Halloween time so candy will likely be in short supply.

we did our monthly shopping run yesterday and found some shelves showing signs of needing restocking, but there was food available.

for breads we were looking for some French loaves but they didn't have any of those so we got Italian instead viva la difference ciao baby.

we did stock up on baking supplies and had to visit a different store for the maraschino cherries. bread flour and all purpose flour were in stock at the last store so we didn't have to go out of our way. the first place i stopped just for me was to get a bottle of Mushroom flavored soy sauce but Mom won't go in there herself because it is a tiny store and it is packed full of strange things and strange people. i like it in there, always something interesting to look at and think about "What would I do with this?". :)
See the odd thing is all the Halloween candy has come in as normal. It’s all the year round stuff that’s been running short🤔

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i should have mentioned that one of the stores we visited yesterday was a Bed, Bath and Beyond (looking for a decent ironing board) and we found one, guess where it was made?

Turkey!

while standing at the front waiting for Mom to find a scented candle i was looking at some decorative pillows for Halloween, they were made in?

India!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember when the politicos promised that the "rich" and corporations will pay their fair share to pay for grandios infrastructure projects ? Well , the trades raised their wages and prices... restaurants and other small businesses offering higher wages, benefits and signing bonuses just to stay open... gas prices costs over a dollar a gallon more than last year... this morning interest rates for new / refinance mortgages for 30 year fixed loans whent up to 3.1% ( from 2.1% last week ). Hey , now we all are rich ... so guess who gets to pay for these pie in the sky projects ???? :idunno

Latest posts