Price increases and shortages

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another hunt today, paid 23 Euro and got a quite balanced combination: 600g salmon, 4kg turkey breast, mushrooms, scallion, spinach.

37661.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Heard on the radio yesterday fuel is up 40% across the country, and cost of meat really going up. Local grocer selling 2 steaks in a pack for $60. So felt a little nudge to gather more, especially as I've started shopping for the Christmas and I'm noticing shelves are not as full as usual. At Wally mart found a great deal on kidney beans $8.49 for 8lbs. That's half the price of the bulk store, which usually has the best price.
20211118_113429_resized.jpg

24 lbs of kidney beans! This should last a while. lol

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just saw Dr. Michael Burry's new Q3 positions o_O. I pay attention to him because of that winning 1.3 billion bet against the housing market, when there weren't even financial instruments to do that (as far back as 2005) and he was considered nuts to make such a prediction. He has been saying 'the mother of all crashes' is coming. Market stuff is always speculative I guess, his reasons (in part) are based on historical cycles related to rampant speculation in markets. Pre-1929 crash was the last time spec levels ran as high as they are now (ie Tesla). He has now dumped nearly all his US positions. Buffet has 149.2 billion put into cash reserves (a record for him) another suggestion that even he might be predicting a major crash as well. 1st time he is being observed to hedge against the US market.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if anyone feels overexposed to the stock market (or any other investment for that matter) they should be rebalancing their accounts until their risk level and feelings are more lined up, but otherwise, nah, i don't take advice from people who can afford to have every future investment they make go wrong and still come out smelling great (because they have so much money they won't ever be in trouble).

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Heard on the radio yesterday fuel is up 40% across the country, and cost of meat really going up. Local grocer selling 2 steaks in a pack for $60. So felt a little nudge to gather more, especially as I've started shopping for the Christmas and I'm noticing shelves are not as full as usual. At Wally mart found a great deal on kidney beans $8.49 for 8lbs. That's half the price of the bulk store, which usually has the best price.
View attachment 45468
24 lbs of kidney beans! This should last a while. lol
A Bean Grower, BUYING beans??? I'd rather eat boiled & shredded tree bark than live with that shame. :lol:
(having said that, I am now on Cosmic Irony watch :hide)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just saw Dr. Michael Burry's new Q3 positions o_O. I pay attention to him because of that winning 1.3 billion bet against the housing market, when there weren't even financial instruments to do that (as far back as 2005) and he was considered nuts to make such a prediction. He has been saying 'the mother of all crashes' is coming. Market stuff is always speculative I guess, his reasons (in part) are based on historical cycles related to rampant speculation in markets. Pre-1929 crash was the last time spec levels ran as high as they are now (ie Tesla). He has now dumped nearly all his US positions. Buffet has 149.2 billion put into cash reserves (a record for him) another suggestion that even he might be predicting a major crash as well. 1st time he is being observed to hedge against the US market.
Never heard of this guy. Interesting individual. The present housing prices are unsustainable, housing is over priced. It can’t stay up like this forever.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never heard of this guy. Interesting individual. I hope the housing market stays stupid high so I can sell my place for that stupid money. The present housing prices are unsustainable, housing is over priced. It can’t stay up like this forever.

there were some stories and a pretty interesting book writen about the time (it was called _The Big Short_ or something like that by Michael Lewis - he has written some other very good books too including the Flash Boys which is another investment market event topic that was interesting to me, but he also managed to make baseball interesting enough to me too so that's saying a lot about his writing skills. a more recent book by him is about the pandemic and while it started interesting i don't think it really made much sense to me how it ended and perhaps that's appropriate considering...) Bury was one of a few people who figured it out and were able to act on it.

there are some other good books written about that time too which are worth reading if you have that sort of interest.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
if anyone feels overexposed to the stock market (or any other investment for that matter) they should be rebalancing their accounts until their risk level and feelings are more lined up, but otherwise, nah, i don't take advice from people who can afford to have every future investment they make go wrong and still come out smelling great (because they have so much money they won't ever be in trouble).
Buffet and Burry are def not giving out advice @flowerbug ! :lol: I'm just reporting on what they are up to. lol
It's just that people watch Burry like a hawk because he did the unthinkable, made a bet against what was considered solid rock, and was actually right - and in a giant way. He probably has one of the most watched portfolios in north america, because it appears the guy can see trends and detect changes in market behaviour that nobody else can. Buffet appears to be covering what he's doing, he's of course very watched too. He's taken a bit of pride, in the past, in not betting against his country. When asked why he is sitting on so much cash, he just said 'oh... not much out there of interest' - yeah okay! 🤣

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Never heard of this guy. Interesting individual. I hope the housing market stays stupid high so I can sell my place for that stupid money. The present housing prices are unsustainable, housing is over priced. It can’t stay up like this forever.
The Big Short is a great movie @baymule ! It outlines the INCREDIBLE story of this guy. He went against every expert out there, Greenspan, Bernanke, all the banks laughed hysterically when he told them he wanted to get short positions on their mortgage bundles. He was the laughing stock of the Street, nicknamed 'chicken little'. And he was a nobody, he just managed a small fund. I think he also said real estate in your neck of the woods was gonna go crazy high, highest in the country likely. I was reading about that just in the last day or two. There is a bubble for sure. The scary thing is, that crazy 'speculation only' value is spread around into lots of places. I hope Burry is wrong! If the money printing keeps going as it has been, it's not looking good.
:hide

Side note, that movie is another reason why I started really seriously saving seeds. A retired millionaire wall streeter in there predicts this whole thing is gonna blow, and seeds will be the next currency 😁 Who knows!

Last edited:

Latest posts