Processing Peppers

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We make hot pepper butter for sandwich spreads and for just about anything. Seems I can't enjoy a meal unless I have some on the plate! Its not really a butter but we have always called it such.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is it a jelly? Here a woman started a whole business on it, called, The Hot Pepper Jelly Co.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, more like a sandwich spread, as it is made with a mustard base. Mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, and ground or pureed hot peppers. Goes great with anything.... except maybe dessert!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh boy does that sound good; and just like something I'd like! I 2nd that if you can, I'd love to try some myself! :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't mind giving it up ;) ...you can adjust this recipe for larger batches if you like.

Hot Pepper Butter

1 peck of hot banana peppers, the red or orange ones make for a more attractive spread (we add jalapenos for a different flavor at times....distinct and good!)

1 qt. yellow mustard

3 lbs brown sugar (can use less if desired but may affect the final result...this spread does NOT taste sweet, btw!)

1 qt. apple cider vinegar

3 Tbs. salt

Grind peppers, along with seeds. Blend all ingredients into large pot, boil for approx. 15 min.

Prepare corn starch thickener using 6 heaping Tbs. of corn starch and cool water. Pour slowly into pepper mixture, stirring well, until desired thickness.

Makes 9 1/2 pints. Can as usual, not necessary to use pressure cooker. Refrigerate after opening, is a good keeper.

My mother now grinds her peppers in the Vitamix and this makes for a more smooth, attractive spread. Also makes it a little quicker.

I use this for a lot of my recipes like chili, dips, soups and stews, as well as for my sandwiches. But then, I like it spicey! You can also adjust the mildness/hotness factor by using sweet banana peppers for the bulk of the peppers and add only a few hot ones.

Hope you like it, folks! When canned into pints or jelly jars, makes a wonderful gift basket filler!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You'ins want another old family recipe? Only the best gosh-darned hot dog sauce on the planet? My folks used to own a country family restuarant and my mother could make manure taste like a 4 star meal....well, not that we actually served manure, but you get the picture!

Coney Island Sauce

1/4 c. butter (the recipe says "oleo", can you believe it? )
1 1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. chopped celery
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 1/2 T. Worchestershire Sauce (What's-that-there-sauce, we always called it!)
2 tsp. chili powder
2 T. brown sugar
1 tsp. mustard
1 tsp. salt
3 T. lemon juice
Hot sauce to taste (optional)

Melt butter in skillet, add onion and celery. Saute for 10 min. Brown beef (drain off excess grease). Add other ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min, stir occasionally to prevent burning or sticking.

I found this recipe and hadn't had any since I was 7 years old, about.....well....lets say it was many, many years ago. I made it and suddenly I remembered what summer tasted like! I think folks have forgotten how to make hotdog sauce! This stuff is wonderful!!!!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
BeeKissed,
You are the bomb!!!! Thanks for sharing, these both look so delicious, I can't wait to try them. Now I have an excuse to grow peppers.:) until then, I will have to hit the farmer's market.

Latest posts