Propagating roses

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Who has done this successfully? I will be moving back to Calif in a few months and want to take my favorite roses with me. There was a zero landscaping where I will be living and I can’t afford to landscape a third home on my dime. If I can do softwood cuttings of my roses and shrubs it would go a long way toward making the new house “home”

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peteyfoozer!!! :weee I am so glad to see you! I hope you stop in more often. I've been missing you.

You can buy rooting preparations in the garden center of most stores. This is the perfect time to buy, as it is the "season" for yardwork, and stores are stocked up.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Petey' :). This isn't likely to be what you are looking for but it works.

We would propagate roses in the greenhouse where I worked. There was a variety that we grew that was locally popular with the florists but plants were no longer available from the growers. We used the own root setup in the greenhouse for other plants, as well.

The system was quite simple but is likely to be initially too expensive. It really just amounted to a tent with a misting sprinkler and a bed of Perlite. The switch that operated the electronic valve controlling the misting was like this LINK.

An alternative might be a timer or someone could turn a valve on and off frequently ... bothersome or expensive but a misting system works.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Petey! :hugs

My sil once rooted a rose from a bouquet by putting it in the ground and inverting a glass jar over it. :hu

A rooting hormone and some perlite seem like a pretty sure way to do roses. Not so sure about your other shrubs. They may require something more specific to their type.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
as long as it is a rose that isn't grafted.

keeping it moist, mostly shaded and the bit of rooting compound in a good potting soil blend should give you some success. but of course make several cuttings/selections to make sure some will take.

the hard part is going to be your Cali location and if you'll be able to irrigate as much as those plants may need. when they have another drought you may be stuck with dead plants due to irrigation restrictions. better to use native plants that can handle no irrigation instead...

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Awww thanks. You guys are the best! I hope next year I will be here a lot!! I haven’t been outside much the past couple years but I’m hoping I’ll be better and that will change!!

I guess I better order some rooting hormone, cuz I really want this to work!! I NEED plants and flowers!

Lucky for me, water won't be a problem where I am moving. I'm very excited to see if this works! I have some very cool stuff I bought and planted here. I hate leaving them behind

Latest posts