Propagating sweet potato leaves?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I read on another forum about how someone had purchased some sweet potato leaves from an Asian market, placed some in a vase of water and they sprouted. The person has just panted them and is hoping to grow sweet pots.

I can't find SP slips anywhere so I decided to try this. I bought some leaves on nice healthy looking stems, so fresh that most of the leaves were not even wilted yet.

So my questions....does anyone think this will actually grow SPs?
And does my vase of leaves need any sunlight to encourage root development? I am thinking not, but I am not sure.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems getting them to grow. The only trouble is you won't know what type they are till they produce.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not done exactly that, but I think Hoodat is correct. Last year, I had what I considered too much growth in a sweet potato slip I was planting so I cut the top off and stuck it in the ground. No roots or anything. It stayed wet for a week or so from rain, but that sweet potato cutting grew and produced sweet potatoes.

I have no serious doubt just the leaves will do as well and I would expect them to sprout pretty easily. If you have room and the climate, I don't know of anything easier than sweet potatoes.

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Cool! Glad to know that it should work :)

I do realize that what ever I eventually (hopefully) pull out of the ground will be a mystery....I still look forward to the fun!

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dace, being in California you can take a chance. Your growing season is long enough for even the pokiest variety. Vine propagation is a good way for you to get sweet potatoes since the CA border guards will shoot anyone trying to bring in an unregistered sweet potato! :gig

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

It can't hurt to try :watering

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just wanted to update.....my little bunch of SP stems have started growing roots :ya

Should begin to expose the vase of leaves to sun or would that be damaging to the roots?

I am sure it will be a week maybe two before I can plant them.....how would I begin to harden them off?

So far so good :thumbsup

Latest posts