Propagation Prohibited - ?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Because someone else holds the patent on that part of your genetic makeup you would be prohibited from isolating it and selling it even though it came from your own blood.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Because someone else holds the patent on that part of your genetic makeup you would be prohibited from isolating it and selling it even though it came from your own blood.
But it's not neccessarily part of me... It's part of any random person they choose. That is just crazy (no, I do believe you, but patenting genetics is just pathetic). What's next? Patented Oxyen? Everytime you breathe you have to take a diagnostic readin of the level of oxygen in the air and pay for it? At least Canada isn't as pathetic as the U.S. is. Until they need the money as badly as the U.S. does... :rolleyes:

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
It is illegal. They can sue you if you save seed. They probably won't, but they could. I make sure I always buy non-patented, non-GMO seeds. I refuse to support big agra-buisness and companies that believe they can patent life.

x2

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You probably don't want to save the seed anyway. unless you can isolate teh variety, or are working on a breeding program, you are contaminating the genetics and moving away from the actual seed you bought.

Furthermore to maintain genetic stability you want to collect seed from at least 50 plants. Anything less creates genetic "bottlenecking".

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
April Manier said:
You probably don't want to save the seed anyway. unless you can isolate teh variety, or are working on a breeding program, you are contaminating the genetics and moving away from the actual seed you bought.

Furthermore to maintain genetic stability you want to collect seed from at least 50 plants. Anything less creates genetic "bottlenecking".
Could you explain what genetic bottlenecking is April? Thanks!

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
April Manier said:

Could you explain what genetic bottlenecking is April? Thanks!
That's soomethin I was about to ask, too. Thanks.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
It is illegal. They can sue you if you save seed. They probably won't, but they could. I make sure I always buy non-patented, non-GMO seeds. I refuse to support big agra-buisness and companies that believe they can patent life.
It is not illegal to save them for one's own use. According to the most recent Stokes catalog, they have the guideline written in there very clearly & I am happy to share that information here. You can save seeds for your own use but cannot sell the seeds that reproduce.

"PVP--Plant Variety Protected. Seed must not be reproduced for sale without permission of the originator."

In the Stokes catalog, this applies to seeds that have this PVP designation listed in the seed/plant description.

I do not understand how a business can declare having a patent on a living plant, because what if someone plants it, moves before harvest, then the next person moves in and harvests those seeds and sells them the following year... you cannot stop plants from reproducing, and the seeds have no clue who developed them!

All the more reason to stay away from Frankenfood.

ksacres

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If the seed is patented by Monsanto, you can't keep it to replant. That's how Monsanto sucks in farmers-they are FORCED to buy seed every year, rather than keep back a portion to replant as they normally would.

For those of you that don't believe something like this has happened, or could happen, GOOGLE is your friend. There have been many cases of farmers being sued for patent infringement and MONSANTO wins them all, or they settle out of court because the farmers can't pay their legal bills.

They DO hold farmers responsible for any seeds that are a product of cross-pollination by neighboring farms. It's a sad and scary world out there, and Monsanto is seeking control by way of our food supply. And there is definitely a desire to push small family farming operations out of production.

If you don't think it's a big deal, I URGE YOU to do some research. You will find that this isn't some "tinfoil hat" conspiracy theory, but that it is a real issue, and the only way to resolve the issue is to inform all consumers of the ugly truth and hope that enough of us are compelled to do something about it. Food is big business, although you can certainly choose to be the Ostrich...

Good read: The Omnivore's Dilemma
Excellent Documentary: Food, Inc.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It doesn't bother me that we are allowed to register and patent anything. It DOES bother me that these are not highly enforced. Most people don't read their manuals when they buy a car or BlueRay player or anything else, and are blithely unaware that they could be liable. TOO many laws, TOO little enforcement, and soon we are all criminals, in one way or another.
You are fortunate that you read the label.
As for me, I'm not buying plants that are patented. Now, I'll be on the lookout for them, so I don't break the law unknowingly and subject myself to the type of punishment real criminals get just for planting a seed.

Latest posts