Propagation / Rooting From Grape Vine (PICTURES OF THE ONLY SURVIVOR)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would really like to do this, and I was told that fall is the best time for this. I'm really impressed with the vigor of this vine and would like to add to our collection of grapes all from the same vine we are starting with. Its a Thompson Seedless.

How well will this do? And whats the best was to go about rooting? Is this a good type of grape to do this with?

gapeachy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I want to root some knock out roses from trimmings of my knockouts and I thought about soaking them in some root stimulater but I dont know

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm just not sure when would be best, and if I should try now or just be patient.

Also, I don't think all types do well by this. (Roses or grapes... no idea!)

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I'm just not sure when would be best, and if I should try now or just be patient.

Also, I don't think all types do well by this. (Roses or grapes... no idea!)
vfem,
I've tried rooting some grape cuttings this time of the year, a few years back with good success.
All i did was to make an angle cut where the end of the cutting would be in water and strip off any leaves so they are not sitting in water. I believe you could mix in some of that rooting hormone into the water if you want, should give you better success. Roots should form along the node where the buds grows. I also change the water whenever it starts smelling stinky or if algae forms. Keep the cutting in water until the roots form. Also if there are any flowers developing take those off you want all of the energy of the cutting to go into root production.
Any grape will do i'm sure. Thompson seedless should be fine for your area, i was thinking of growing that variety but i didnt want to risk it not being able to take the cold and winter here, i see that it doesn't do well in zones 6, only zones 7 and higher.

Good Luck
Hope this helps!! ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok, you talked me into trying. I took some cuttings today, and added them to fresh water with a tiny bit of rooting hormone.

I will change the water when its icky or every other day. I have 10 cuttings to try from, all the rest of the vine had grape developing and I didn't want to cut them.

Do you think cutting all this extra growth right now will be good for those developing grapes? Or was it a bad idea? Or will it force the plant to focus on the fruit growth now?

Here's my cuttings. I removed most of the leaves, just not the very top little/new growth ones. Good move?

14084_img_4873.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So far I've kept them alive and perky! :lol:

We'll see if that is the case this weekend.

So how long before I should notice if there are roots or not???

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'm going to be watching this thread like a hawk! my grapes haven started to open up fully yet but they have been budding! :D

i have 1 huge canadice grape vine i've been growing since 1996 and it is a wonderful producer for being the only grape that took off in my parent's yard. i get about 15-20lbs of grapes each year from it and i would love to learn to propagate them to take the transplants over in my current home's yard!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We've already decided these will go on an arbor by the chicken coop in the yard so I can have a sitting area that he hates mowing. We'll see if they take, and then I'll get my shaded arbor patio, chillin' with MY peeps!!! :lol:

I will take pictures and explain what I do, and what works and what doesn't.

I'll even add it to my blog.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks good vfem!!

It looks as you have softwood grape cuttings not hardwood cuttings, it should still work though.

Good luck hope you have root growth on those cuttings soon ;)

Latest posts