Propagation / Rooting From Grape Vine (PICTURES OF THE ONLY SURVIVOR)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There was no hardwood to have... it had been sheered down to give to us this past March. He didn't think about saving any cuttings and threw them in his burn pile. :(

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I saw a few roots developing on about 3 of the cuttings. I'm going to add new water again today and try to take a couple of good photos. If all goes well, I will try to pot them in a couple of days. We're planning the pergula for the yard they will grow up already. We will enjoy grapes and a hammock in the shade sooner then we thought if these cuttings take and I don't have to try again in the fall!!!! :D

piecemaker

Sprout
Reaction score
vfem said:
I saw a few roots developing on about 3 of the cuttings. I'm going to add new water again today and try to take a couple of good photos. If all goes well, I will try to pot them in a couple of days. We're planning the pergula for the yard they will grow up already. We will enjoy grapes and a hammock in the shade sooner then we thought if these cuttings take and I don't have to try again in the fall!!!! :D
How are the cuttings doing
Piecemaker

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hi Piecemaker and :welcome

Funny you should say that, because yesterday I took pictures of how the 1 lone survivor is doing.

14084_grape_cutting2.jpg

Here is a close up of the new growth starting. I'm hoping to have this planted out this fall when we get the new arbor up. :)

14084_grape_cutting3.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like that one, really grew well... Can't wait to see how well it transplants! Good luck!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
vefm, keep him in that pot until the Fall. My replacement grape is in a 15 inch deep, 12 opening (at the top) pot that has now been moved right next to the hole it's going into IN THE FALL. It's looking great, I water it heavily, but it also drains well.
Last year's replacement was almost dead at this point in the summer, choked out by grass, and busy competing with the adult vines for light, I think.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
wooohooo! i tried this method when i took 3 cuttings from my canadice grape left in my parent's yard! one has roots galore while the other 2 i am still holding out on them getting roots too! here's crossing my fingers for those!

thanks Vfem for posting about this!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am happy to say there are 2 new leaves on this baby now and I am estatic!!!!! :D Hubby LOVES grapes, and these are good seedless eating grapes he's been craving. So I am proud to say after taking cuttings and trying MANY different plants over the last year... this is my FIRST cutting to survive me. :weee

:rose :rose :rose :rose :rose :rose :rose

flgardengirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a way to root all kinds of vines that I like to use. First get a rubbermaid or tupperware container at least 3-4 inches deep. Then use the soft floral foam (light green) and cut it to fit tightly into the container. While it is in the container cut into 1 inch blocks with a knife. Put about an inch of water into the container (Just pour in onto the floral foam). You want about an inch of water in the bottom. So then get a toothpick and poke a hole in each 1 inch block. Take your cuttings (they should be about 4-5 inches long at least and have several nodes) dip the bottom into water and then dry rooting hormone. Then stick them into the blocks. Set under lights or in a sunny window if the nights aren't too cold. If its summer you can put it outside in the shade. The root very fast this way. I started tons of passiflora, sky vine, allamanda,mandevilla,jasmine, etc this way.

Latest posts