Propagation / Rooting From Grape Vine (PICTURES OF THE ONLY SURVIVOR)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank FLgardengirl! I actually almost forgot about this thread.

I took more cutting from hardwood this fall... they didn't make it. :rolleyes: I killed pretty much dead cuttings somehow. But I may try this method with my climbing roses.

As for this lone vine... it was doing great, and I transplanted it to its new home at the end of the driveway over by our other fence. I think that was back in October. It looks to be doing good.

I will have photos in the spring if I see new growth... which can happen as early as March here.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This little guy was transplanted in Fall, and here we are in spring and looks like this cutting is VERY happy and healthy now. So I had my first success with rooting!!! HOORAY!

14084_img00432.jpg

(I took more spring cuttings yesterday from our strong vine, and I'll see if I can root those too. ;) )

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am so glad we bought our vines. It has to be the lowest maintenance thing on my property. We should have a boat load of grapes this year if mother nature cooperates :D Lots of new growth last year that will produce grapes this year.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
last year i never got around to planting my one vine that sprouted roots in the jar of water. i forgot about it on the counter during the winter and it appears it went dormant for the season! i noticed it over a month ago getting a vine on it, nice and green and growing!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hooray Chickie's!!! That is awesome! I try not to touch things, but if I don't touch it often it dies... if I touch it too often... it dies. I've got a deadly finger. :lol:

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have taken cuttings of hardwood when I prune in February, cut them into pieces with nodes on each piece. I stick them into soil at that time with the nodes in the ground. Usually can put a few dozen in an area and get 4 to 10 to root come spring. I can transplant the next fall or spring. This has worked for me a couple times. I am going to do this again this year since we lost two of our new vines we have planted at our present home. I have also buried the whole cutting and gotten some result from that.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOOOHOOO! i bought about 50 cuttings from someone on ebay about a month ago and this morning i just noticed that the buds are swelling on about 1/2 of them at least! i used the water method and took water from my koi tank and they must be loving that! i need to get some pics of them! my dh thought i was nuts to buy 'sticks' from ebay!

heh, it wasn't as crazy as someone trying to sell fresh horse manure and shipping it though the mail on there! :lol:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
This little guy was transplanted in Fall, and here we are in spring and looks like this cutting is VERY happy and healthy now. So I had my first success with rooting!!! HOORAY!

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/14084_img00432.jpg

(I took more spring cuttings yesterday from our strong vine, and I'll see if I can root those too. ;) )
Looks great.
Any easy way to propagate is to lay down the long vines and cover with soil. You can actually get may plants from one long vine. Lay it on the soil, perhaps pin it down with hangar wire in several places, cover with soil. You will have plant starts in the first year. Thus works with most any woody plant. Leaving it attached increases your chances for many more starts.

Latest posts