Proper raised bed for tomatoes

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a nice "blank canvas" area along the back side of my house. It gets full sun and from the A/C unit to the end is approximately 28 to 32 feet. I'm thinking about putting in 2 x 8 boxes until I reach the end and plant a tomato plant every 2 foot. I will run a length of soaker hose down around the base of the plants, cover with straw, and put up cages.

Does this sound like it would work? Is there anything to consider or modify. What about planting them against the side of the house? Is 1 foot away from the house enough for air circulation?

Of course there will be random carrots and a few marigolds throughout the whole bed. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't see why it shouldn't work, Hangin', unless it gets brutally hot over there.

Don't forget that the size of the plants vary with variety. For example, a Large Red Cherry plant may have some real trouble growing in an area that would provide more than enuf room for a Sweet Baby Girl.

Also, your Georgia tomato plants may get rather out of hand and bounds by the end of a season. Determinate varieties may be best. There are also "tree" tomatoes.

Steve

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I only plant a tomato called "Terrific VFN Hybrid #3487", for whatever reason. This is the best tomato for my area. High yeilds and the flavor I like. They do get big and bushy and tall, the reason for the cage. I will be making new cages this year to fit in the box and 6 feet tall.

I will be planting one or two "other" tomatoes each year. How do I truly know which tomato I like the best if I don't try them all? :lol: These will be in different spots in the ground. Some cherry's in my topsy turvey's I got for $2 a piece (I know they are not going to work, but it's trial and error for me) and a few "Husk Cherry Reds" I get every year from the local hardware store. He also has the Terrific's but sells them out fast. I bought seed this year so I will start my own.

I did get a "Mortgage Lifter" seed packet. I really want to taste this one. It's going in the ground in the "big" garden. It might be my new favorite tomato. ;)

Andy J

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hangin',I don't know if you've thought of this but,making a raised bed against your wall could be an invitation for termites.Even with brick veneer,termites can get through the tiniest crack or pinhole.My termite man pointed this out to me once during an inspection.It may void your termite bond or contract.

Like digitS',it may get too hot for the plants against the wall.I know for certain,some varieties won't set fruit if the temperature is too high,especially at night.

I hope I haven't discouraged you.Termites are a costly PITA.I know first hand.The chemicals used to treat them today aren't near as potent as they were years ago and they don't last but 5-8 years,compared to 30-50 years like they once lasted.

Andy J

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Andy probably has a good point there, being from your same region. I would have never thought of that because termites are not a big problem in my area. I hear they are terrible down south though.

Otherwise, I don't see any problem with your plan. You may be able to interplant marigolds or some other herb that will deter the termites anyway. You can plant just about any tomato in that restricted space if you don't have a problem with the work of pruning. Pruning them down to only one stem and pinching all the suckers will keep them under control (and give you fewer, but larger tomatoes). You'd have to keep after it. ;)

I'm just curious what color your house is, because I have found that anything I plant in full sun along the side of my garage which is white really thrives and likes it there. I think this is because of how the color white reflects light back at the plants so they are getting additional light for photosynthesis.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
The other thing to consider is the drip line of the house. The first raised bed I put in, doesn't stick out past the drip edge, thus no free water... On the other hand if a lot of water drips down, it can be difficult to plant along that "line". Why not keep the bed 6 inches from the foundation- maybe fill that portion with stone, for termite control?

hangin'witthepeeps

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nix that idea, we get deluges of rain and it pours off my roof. My siding is light gray, which would probable give too much light/heat. I need to find another area. It's just hard around my house because of all the trees. I wish I would have had more land cleared when I had the extra $$. Well I'll have to save up again to have it done so I can have more raised beds. Thanks ya'll, Melissa

Latest posts