Puget Sound and Western WA..what the heck with the heatwave????

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OMG it was 102F at my work today!!! LOL my tomatoes love it now but if it rains like crazy they and all our plums and figs will split you know!

I have the tomatoes tented just in case ..but the figs still have a few more weeks so this hot dry weather must conitinue in spite of my horrific water bills!
I am not complaining to be honest but like getting snow in Western Wa no one is EVER prepared for heat either!

I wanted to take this to a corner since so many have suffered so much rain!

how you guys doing?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh Hattie we could use a little rain here but I do not want to jinx myself

there will be plenty and I will long to see the sky again soon enough so I am going to be grateful ..but do worry about the fruits splitting when the rain finally falls ..and it will!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Normally this time of year is our seasonal monsoons. Everyday the sun rises and burns off all the clouds. The day progresses getting hotter and hotter. Although the surrounding humidity is rising my plants are drying out fast with the sun beating down. By 4 p.m. clouds begin to appear, they form fast and they even begin to dump rain off into the distance. Sheets of rain fall from the sky.

I stand there with the water hose in hand trying to prevent everything from drying up. Not one drop of rain in the past week since this weather began. It has been dancing around my house all week. LOL

I was pleased to see a fine mist on everything this morning. This was, of course, because of all my hours deep watering everything. Now it can rain. :p

Ron

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, we were just laughing about that . . . . sorry, HiDelight!

My son moved from Portland, Oregon to Minneapolis and is now experiencing a summer with nearly 3 times as much summer rainfall (on average) than Portland usually has. It will be 105F (that's 40.5C, Hattie) in Portland, today.

I get teased about all the flannel I wear to Seattle in the winter - only to turn into a sponge out in the rain . . . :rolleyes:

With your remarkable heat, you now fear your usual rain . . . it is probably comes down to what we are accustomed to and the trouble we have adjusting to the unusual.

Steve

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ron...I remember the strange (OMG I hope I am using the right word) was it Verpa? in New Mexico (my sister is a Santa Fe "native") it would be way off in the distance and was rain waiting to come down or something it was just strange ..and then the monsoons! it was crazy ..we used to sit on her porch hang chiles to dry and she would be so bummed about her garden drying up and wish for those rains ..she even watered her compost heap and all it did was get hard and dry again!
and I would tease her about dropping a seed in and jumping back ..no doing nadda in the summer because usually we had more rain than this!
I have rain barrels and plan to put them in when we get our gutters repaired now ...

it is ok to laugh Steve we wear a lot of flannel this side of the mountains to sponge up the rain you know :)

I am going to give up the thoughts of "normal" now and be thrilled with the unusual ..I am just kind of bummed about our electric and heating bill it is out of this world right now and usually the summer is the time we pay ahead on things with our long days and temporate climate

The "I should have's" are kicking in ...like I should have planted some okra and should have tried some peppers again and and and and ....

oh well

I am yearning to be off work and go look at my darling baby eggplant

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight,

Do you have air conditioning? OMG we are wilting away in our house...and with two St. Bernards suffering along with us. :( We are sun burned from living at the lake. It is hard to conduct business when your home is boiling!

We have two fans, but could use more...none to be had at any retail store around... Not being able to cool our home reminds me a little of life after Hurricane IKE. We lost power for 11 days in this kind of heat...no ice, no batteries left on any shelf. Heck there were no shelves, all the business were deserted in the first days after the storm.

I moved away from TX to get away from this type of heat. :(

My tomatoes are very happy tho. What are you saying about the rain? Is rain in the forcast? I'm burning up my well pump trying to water my apple, plum and pear orchard. :( My garden gets watered too, but all the grass and ornamentals are history. I am not set up to water 5 acres!!!

Trying to stay positive...trying.
Our house was 89 degrees at 9:00 last night!!

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok guys I'm going to finish my coffee and go out and do a rain dance for ya'll so it will leave here and head your way along with the cooler temps, I just went out and checked the thermometer on my patio, 45F :ep my tomatoes are shivering. You guys in the Northwest broke high temp records and we broke low temp records this morning.

HiDelight you are refering to verga, when you can see the rain coming out of the clouds but it doesn't hit the ground.

I hope you all cool off soon and Ron hope your monsoon starts soon

:rainbow-sun

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
BBH yes I am lucky to have a pump and AC but face the west over the water ..and do not have all UV windows so it is cooler in the house but I also never put shades up on all the windows ..so when the sun sets it is still brutal!

I kine of like it but am sorry for the suffering ..omg our sunsets ..wait I will try to post one and cheer you up! BBH!

smog and smoke make spectacular sunsets in the summer are you getting them where you are?

Colorado folks I say just divert some of your run off ok?

Latest posts