pulled the trigger today

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
We just ordered a new dishwasher together with the new kitchen yesterday, and here's everyone getting theirs out?

Not everyone. We still use ours. Thee are certain things that don't go in, plastic that the heat might warp, anything with wooden handles, no knives so they don't dull, and most pots and pans. Those are still washed by hand. Baked on food doesn't always come off and some starchy stuff can leave residue. As far as I'm concerned they are not perfect. I rinse the stuff before it goes in. Filling that reservoir with that blue rinse-aid (whatever you call it) helps but they do a pretty good job within their limitations. One of the advantages to me is that you can store dirty stuff in them during the day out of the way so you don't have to hand wash a few times a day.

When we had kids one of their chores was to load the dishwasher. With school they were usually not around top unload it. At certain ages I think kids need to learn how to wash dishes by hand, and that included drying. Those are valuable skills for any young adult to know.

I don't know if you have ever seen the Mythbusters TV show? It used to be a popular show over here. One of the myths they investigated was "Does your refrigerator door have more bacteria than the toilet seat?" Turns out, it does. But the bacteria on a toilet seat are much more likely to be harmful bacteria so the few that are there are considered more dangerous. They tested other things while they were about it. The cloth you use to dry your clean dishes by hand were pretty loaded with bacteria. Again, most were not harmful bacteria but they were there. If you wash dishes by hand you might want to consider changing out those washing and drying clothes regularly.

If your dishwasher retains moisture it could possibly grow mold, like some clothes washers do. But if you go through the drying cycle it should not retain moisture. With the way dishwashers heat up the water, hotter than people are likely to use when washing by hand, I consider them pretty safe from that aspect.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner , your comment about kids learning how to hand wash made me smile.
Mom bought a DW when I was 12. When she was still in the considering-to-get-it phase I wrote, dated, and signed a promise that I would never complain about doing dishes "ever again" if she bought one.
Obviously, being a kid, the thrill of loading and unloading (and still hand washing some stuff) wore off in a couple of weeks.
A short time before she passed away she gave me that note.
I was touched that she had kept it all those years.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We just ordered a new dishwasher together with the new kitchen yesterday, and here's everyone getting theirs out? :idunno
For me it's the first time in my 40 years old life to have one in the house! We'll see how we like it or not. Personally I don't like drinking water from glasses that come out of a dw.

i like to keep things simple and have found over the years that the more things that are around to break the more things break. like gardening i find a lot of mundane tasks quite happy making so to wash a few dishes isn't any real chore. i enjoy playing in the water. Mom doesn't like drying them by hand so she'll leave them out on a towel to dry. we change the wash cloth and towel often. i'm not quite the germophobe that Mom is but i'm sensitive to smells enough that we seem to be in about the same pace on those things.

when Mom bakes a lot i will do sous chef duties and wash the dishes and clean the mixer - as a kid of course that meant being able to eat the cookie dough, batter or frosting off the mixer blades and scraping the bowl clean. nowadays that isn't so correct according to the food handling people but that is only if your flour or eggs or other ingredients are contaminated. cookie dough is still a great weakness of mine - i much prefer it over the cooked cookies in almost all cases except a few of the cookies we regularly make.

ok, back to the DW issue, i don't like how they can mark/stain glassware or jars. they just begin to look wrong to me.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
asked the dw what kind of w/s she was going to get. she was going to get a roper w/d set.. hummm

got up early to let the girls out grabbed a cup of coffee and start to do research...nope these where not coming into this house junk garbage barf..
after 3 cups picked out a whirlpool set that was 100 more, no bells and whistles just good all around simple units. punched in the model numbers and read up on them every site i read reguarded them a good purchase..

dw finally was up gave her time to wake up, showed her want i have found and recommend..she likes them

so with w/d dryer duct hose ,washer supply lines +tax and delivery right about 1000.00 and thats with a 28% saving since they are on sale...

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
do not get the washer without the impeller. I personally hate them! They simply giggle a tiny bit to the left..................................................................................then giggle a tiny bit to the right....................................and the clothes do not get clean.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to replace my washer last year. I went with a SpeedQueen.
Just got the most basic machine they sell.

Best units ever according to all the professional appliance repairmen I read. It wasn't cheap, slightly under 1k, but everybody says I can leave it in my will as they are very durable.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF you have a septic that the wash water goes into, side loads are great as they use much less water. We used to drown our septic and I was always having to work on it.

Always buy quality for equipment you use regular. Cheaper in long run.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mom does 20-30 loads a week (for her quilting) most of the time so we've gotten our money's worth out of the units we've had. they are rusting out so eventually we'll have to find something else or have them repaired again. i hope if we get new ones we can find ones that won't rust like these have.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
those sneakie pos at the dealership they got me... this morning drove down to pick up my plates, got home put the plate on....wtf?.... sticker has a T on it.. it's a limited registration only good for 60 days... figure i better call the dvm first to make sure this was legal, after explaining what was going on, was told it's a loophole in the system that dealerships exploit. so now in july have to pay 287.52 for new tags....grrrrrrrrr