Pumpkin ID?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bought a few heirloom/OP pumpkin / squashes at a market the other day, mostly because we never get varieties such as these and they were a pretty good deal. I'm gonna collect the seeds when the time comes. I vaguely recall seeing varieties that look like these over the years in various catalogues, but I can't remember any names. Can anyone recognise these and provide names?

Attachments

• 20211015_123243_resized.jpg
    20211015_123243_resized.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 20211015_123256_resized.jpg
    20211015_123256_resized.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 20211015_123312_resized.jpg
    20211015_123312_resized.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 270

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bought a few heirloom/OP pumpkin / squashes at a market the other day, mostly because we never get varieties such as these and they were a pretty good deal. I'm gonna collect the seeds when the time comes. I vaguely recall seeing varieties that look like these over the years in various catalogues, but I can't remember any names. Can anyone recognise these and provide names?
Green pumpkins

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is the extent of my knowledge too. There is a person I run across that is a squash whisperer on another site and I asked. He said:

Another site? I'm at field capacity now with this one!

From left to right, I might guess 'One Too Many', 'Lumina' and 'Jarrahdale', but there are other similar pumkins that go by other names. Are they all really distinct? I'm not sure. The answer to that question requires a greater pumpkin maven than me.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The way cucurbits cross I would not rule out some of them being crosses. It will be really interesting to see what you get when you grow them.
Yes, that was something I considered given the species. I think I might go back to that store and try and track down the company that sold them the pumpkins. My hope is that they grew each variety in it's own field, but that might be just wishful thinking.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This is the extent of my knowledge too. There is a person I run across that is a squash whisperer on another site and I asked. He said:

Another site? I'm at field capacity now with this one!

From left to right, I might guess 'One Too Many', 'Lumina' and 'Jarrahdale', but there are other similar pumkins that go by other names. Are they all really distinct? I'm not sure. The answer to that question requires a greater pumpkin maven than me.
Yes, Lumina I remember growing that one a long time ago. It was roundish. The white one here is really flat almost like a type of cheese wheel variety. Makes me wonder if a commercial type farm would grow large amounts of hybrids given the cost per seed? as opposed to their own seed? I don't know about those kinds of practices, wish I did.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, Lumina I remember growing that one a long time ago. It was roundish. The white one here is really flat almost like a type of cheese wheel variety. Makes me wonder if a commercial type farm would grow large amounts of hybrids given the cost per seed? as opposed to their own seed? I don't know about those kinds of practices, wish I did.

it depends a lot upon if the grower is self-propagating seeds or buying from a seed supplier. for large fields and to increase the quality of pollination they may mix some seeds of other squash in with their main planting. they do this for cucumbers and melons too.

if you are lucky you got a pumpkin from someone who had a large enough field and it was isolated enough that the seeds will come true. won't know until you grow. :) i am quite ok with mutts as squash as long as they survive the bugs and are tasty enough i'll keep growing them. plus i have kept adding to the mix each season so that add whole other layers to the potential mayhem. :) yippee! :) hahaha... :)

Latest posts