Puppy Imports

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's all relative. What is YOUR dog worth to YOU
I had a mutt (rottie/husky/?) - pulled out of a dumpster with a leg shattered by a shotgun blast. He had heartworms, needed to be neutered, months of therapy to regain use of the leg. Years later he developed cancer and we chose treatment. 5 years later it came back and he was on meds to keep him comfortable for almost 2 yrs after that. Since he was almost 100# everything for him was more expensive. I have NO idea what I spent on Frankie over the years - and contraty to some opinoins, there was then (and is now) no replacing him.
He was a 'once in a lifetime' dog and I would pay just about anything to have him again.

As far as suprise vet bills go - I don't think I've ever agreed to a procedure without asking "What's this going to cost?" My vet knows me better than to pad the bill - I simply can't pay it - LOL.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of these "rescues" are some pretty shady operations. Tax free, charitable organizations "helping" the poor little animals and making a tidy profit for themselves. I see ads asking for unwanted farm animals.....so they can then turn around and solicit donations for their upkeep.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was a new state of art hospital. The whole thing was recorded on computer. Before I picked up dog Dr went over every tooth and what they did. When Dr started talking about how this tooth was bonded I knew I was in trouble. I never question how much it will cost if my dog needs it. Most of my friends spend way more on their children med bills. PS I have my vet's private land and cell numbers , I can reach her anytime.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot of rescues import dogs from Mexico, very ill, almost dead, many die on the trip, parvo puppies. It's disgusting. The rescue I worked at did this, no QT at all! No gov't control or inspections or anything...We have enough dogs of our own in desperate need, why are we importing near dead, diseased dogs from other countries?
We aren't allowed to import livestock (live animal or embryo) only livestock sperm is allowed, what makes dogs and cats ok??

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never understood why they move them from one state to another anyway. Each location certainly has plenty of stray animals on its own.

ARF (animal rights furrever) took over our local pound and now it is nearly shut down, no longer accepting any new animals and it has been this way for a couple of years now. The fee to adopt a cat is only $40, which includes having the animal spayed or neutered and that is a good deal compared to what that usually costs--so that at least is a good thing.

They are always asking for volunteers to drive animals long distances from one rescue or foster family to another. Like I said, I don't see how all of this shuffling helps the problem. My question is, what do they think happens to all of the animals that they now turn away? Their numbers are certainly not dropping. They get dumped out somewhere and eventually hit by cars or shot. Or people just haul them off to the high-kill shelter a couple counties over where you can drop them off after-hours and leave with no accountability such as your name and address (which the old pound used to take record of.) Now the high-kill shelter has to put down cats and dogs on a daily basis to make room and otherwise healthy and adoptable animals get no chance whatsoever. The old pound at least gave them 2 weeks for owners of a lost animal to hopefully find it or otherwise a chance to get adopted. Sick and infirm animals were humanely put down first, giving the healthy animals a little more of a chance.

I have had to take a few strays to the pound over the years. I would keep them a week or so if I could, to give the owners a chance to find them, if they were looking for them. But I can't just have all these stray dogs running around killing my chickens. Now what am I supposed to do with them? :idunno

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
IF people want to spend thousands on their pets, fine by me. I just don't get the need for foofy the pet.

Problem with buying "rescue dogs" is breeders keep on breeding them. Then too many don't neuter their pets and here come the litters. Why do they always have huge litters?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You will not believe the money spent on showing dogs.
Actually, I would. A friend breeds guard dogs, litter worth from $22,000 to $44,000. Not to me. Shotgun MUCH cheaper with no feed or vet bills........ ;)

Latest posts