Purchased garlic plants, need advice

BlackThumb

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I found a deal on garlic plants today, ten plants for a dollar, so I got 20. They range from 2" to 8" tall.

I came home and looked for planting instructions and all I could find was how to plant the cloves. I have a number of questions, and know this is the place to come.

I am in Zone 9A. When can they go into the ground?

The soil will be loamy and organically composted. Will they grow in a Rubbermaid tub with about 15" of that soil?

If I plant in the ground, what is the best companion plant? Full sun only?

Thanks for your patience.

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have never heard of planting garlic plants, only the cloves. Never seen them in a catalog or at the nursery. A Google search didn't bring up anything either.

I suppose I would put them in the ground and see what happens.

Just a thought, but is it possible you have garlic chives and not true garlic? Someone once gave my son some garlic "plants" but they turned out to be quite large garlic chives.

If anyone else has some experience with this, please share!

Rooster-Spur

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello I have planted garlic plants and they are doing great. I moved mine from a Lady down the street to my house. I just put them in the dirt a little lower than they where planted. Just as long as the bulb is covered and not too deep you should be fine. I live in zone 8 so I don't know exactly when you should plant them. My garlic is already comeing up so any time should be ok. Hope I helped.

BlackThumb

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, I decided to go halfway. I separated them and planted each one in a quart container. I would love it if that is where they stayed, but we shall see.

6550_picture_440.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plant them just like you would onion starts. I'm always finding starts from where I didn't get them dug from year before.

oberhaslikid

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am in zone 6 and plant garlic in Oct.Then I harvest in July.When you see the scapes or seed head form at the top.You can harvest these and use in cooking the garlic bulb will continue to grow and get bigger.If not they will produce seeds or Bulbiels.If I miss one then it will fall to the ground and produce little garlic plants.Now if I want to plant them it will take about 3 years for the bulbiels to become bulbs.