Purple stems on my tomato seedling.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the same thing as Seed, that your temps are too cool.

Great to see you back again Collector!
There are Sandpoint and Bonners varieties? I'm obviously out of the loop!
I will have to try those next year, I like local varieties, even though that darn Blacktail Mountain watermelon never does anything for me.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some of the tomatoes I am growing under lights in the basement have purple on the underside of the leaves this year. These are two new varieties for me this year, Comstock and Defiant. I have been using weak fertilizer pretty often, and the temp stays around 70 down there.
As you all have noted, tomatoes are pretty forgiving, and can thrive under strange circumstances. I don't think I am going to worry about the purple.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the same thing as Seed, that your temps are too cool.

Great to see you back again Collector!
There are Sandpoint and Bonners varieties? I'm obviously out of the loop!
I will have to try those next year, I like local varieties, even though that darn Blacktail Mountain watermelon never does anything for me.
Hello thistle, there are four varieties developed at the U of I in the 70s, Benewah, Shoshone,Sandpoint, and Bonners.I have tried only the Benewahs so far they were short and super bushy.
I purchased the seeds from Sandhill, this time I ordered the shoshones hope they do as well. it is good to hear from everybody on TEG I have been super busy with family stuff for the last couple years. But I am back now!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good to see you back on here. I had a few purpley looking tomato plants. I set them outside during the day, brought them in around 3:00 PM, put them under a light, turned it off around 10:00 PM. It has been cool here for spring and we don't keep the house warm at night. They are all out in the garden now. We've had nights in the 40-60 degree range and days from 60 up to 80 degrees, but mostly hanging in the 70's. I thought the purple was because they weren't warm enough. Never thought about it being from not enough phosphorus. I sprouted them in the Jiffy peat pellets.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think they are looking better already from the fertilizer and warmer room. Want to transplant by midweek and hopefully they take off growing. :thumbsup

Latest posts