Q on starting sweet potato slips

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No farmers markets in the winter--they won't be opening up until about June, sadly. I'm going to head into town tomorrow and stop at the only grocery store that has an organic section, and see what I can get.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
No farmers markets in the winter--they won't be opening up until about June, sadly. I'm going to head into town tomorrow and stop at the only grocery store that has an organic section, and see what I can get.
That's what I did last year. I bought an organic sweet potato from the grocer and ended up with 17 plants from it. This year I'm using one of my own sweet potatoes as a sprouter.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me. I lost my Japanese sweet potatos in the move from Oklahoma. Off to the Oriental market I go. I really prefer those dry fleshed nutty tasting Japanese varieties.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't give up on those- mine took forever to grow!!! Just try to forget about them, and they might surprise you. Good luck!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Thanks for reminding me. I lost my Japanese sweet potatos in the move from Oklahoma. Off to the Oriental market I go. I really prefer those dry fleshed nutty tasting Japanese varieties.
Its a shame you are not still next door. I planted my sweet potato slips today. Some were the Japanese and Garnet I got from the whole foods place and started in plastic cups. I have many slips left over. A few are promised to a friend but I still have a lot. My set-up for starting them was pretty complicated too.

6180_sweet_potato_slips.jpg

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
hoodat said:
Its a shame you are not still next door. I planted my sweet potato slips today. Some were the Japanese and Garnet I got from the whole foods place and started in plastic cups. I have many slips left over. A few are promised to a friend but I still have a lot. My set-up for starting them was pretty complicated too.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6180_sweet_potato_slips.jpg
I used to be in your area (Poteau OK) but sad to say I'm not any more. One of these day I'll get back there if I live long enough.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My slips are HUGE! I am hardening off my taters in a cup that are loaded with slips. I pulled some off weeks ago and those are already outside in my Little Tikes Sweet Potato growing box :D

I built a second box (wood) and I will break off some of the big slips and plant those today. Last night was our last frost..... allegedly :p