Question for all of my grilling and smoking TEG friends!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, does it taste like chicken? :D I could never even taste it. We have squirrels here in Alameda and they are always digging in my garden. I just wish they would go away.

Mary
No, it doesn't taste like chicken. :lol: It tastes a little squirrelly........

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary squirrel is a red meat. The skin is on real tight, the best way to skin is with 2 people. My grandpa used to call it "peeling off the squirrel's pajamas" :lol: Cut around the middle of the squirrel, just the skin. One person holds the back legs while the other person loosens the skin and pulls it over the head and down to the front feet. Cut off front feet. My grandmother fried the head and ate the brains. I never could bring myself to do that, but if you do, pop the eyes out, don't cook them. Swap ends, hold head and the other person peels the pajama bottoms to the tail, cut off tail, makes great kid toy. Peel skin down to back feet, cut off feet, discard feet and skin. Cut a slit down the belly and pull the guts out. Wash the squirrel off and take in the house. Cut it up and cook as desired. Fried, smothered, squirrel and dumplings..... there is not a domestic meat to compare to, but now that you know how to prepare one, get on down to the city park and shoot one with a 22 and fix it for supper!! :gig

Latest posts