Question on peppers and tomatoes

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know that hot pepper will cross pollinate. But will hot and sweet peppers? And if so does that mean I should plant them far apart?

What about tomatoes? I got a few varieties of tomatoes. Will they cross pollinate? Should I plant them as far away from each other as I can? Ok thanks

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hot and sweet peppers will cross-pollinate. Don't plant them right near each other unless you like surprises :) And if you want to save seeds they either need to be well isolated or (sometimes easier) hand-pollinated on virgin flowers that are bagged afterwards til the fruit starts to set.

Tomatoes do not crosspollinate terribly much but if you really care about saving seeds from a particular variety, don't use plants growing right next to a very different variety :) Of course hand-pollination works too, but I don't know as many people do it for tomatoes. Crosspollination among tomatoes does not affect the fruit itself anyhow so if seed-saving is not an issue then crosspollination TOTALLY doesn't matter for tomatoes.

Have fun,

Pat

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Pat. Just one more question. cuckes will cross with melons? and winer squash will cross with pumkins? There are just so many rules.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This last summer, a friend of mine had a huge patch of watermelons, from only three plants. She got over 50 watermelons from those three plants!!

But, she also had planted some spaghetti squash nearby. Toward the end of the season, she was getting spaghetti squash that was striped with green. It was like a spaghetti squash inside, yellow, and made strings well enough, but had a very light and more watery type of strings inside. We figured it crossed with the watermelons.

She saved some seeds to see what they would produce, if anything this year.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's cool Reb! I would like to hear the story of what grows from those seeds.... sounds like it would be a softer spagetti squash to cook. That I would be in favor of, as its usually too hard for me to enjoy when I cook it.

Though it is so lovely in a parmasean cream sauce! :p

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
Thanks Pat. Just one more question. cuckes will cross with melons? and winer squash will cross with pumkins? There are just so many rules.
Yes, the dreaded "squmpkin"... :)

Pat

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
obsessed said:
im planning my garden and I didnt know this, any others, is there a list some where. As for the peppers and tomatoes, dont plant them next to each other, I know one stunts the growth of the other.