Questions About Rabbits

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, if you want to pet it and have it for a pet, then I would not have it outside. It is a lot of work going out and taking care of frozen water and worrying about them. They like company. My rabbits play and chase back and forth through the wire. I agree with baymule and the chickens. The amount of droppings would be hard to say. I have some fall through the wire and they use litter boxes, but a cup each a day, maybe? My males are cute and all that, but seem to have more problems than the females and are not as clean. If I had 2, I am not sure I would deal with the hutch. I think I would have them a place close to the house with a pen, where if I went out the door they would be right there and could follow me around. I see pictures of them in the house, but not for me. They are smart too. The last one that came from the neighbors lived in the house. I think he would sit on the couch and watch TV with us if we let him. He comes when called and runs around and around your feet. My rabbits that I raised from babies and lived in the hutch, still hate to be picked up, will not come if I call them when they are loose. They come in the hutch and want attention, but not picked up, but they are huge.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, and also, never, never, never take their word about if they are male or females. Make sure BEFORE or you will have a million. I heard 2 males not fixed will kill each other. I never put my males out together. The females get along, but 1 will be boss. I take her out, and then a new boss takes over. Bella is younger and she wants to play, but the older females chase her. A picture of Lulu and Zoup. Lulu got to close to Zoup and she is after her and not for fun. The other picture is Bella sneaking up on her mother Lulu and wants to play, but what happened after the picture was Lulu chasing Bella away.
Bella and Lulu.jpg
Zoup and Lulu.jpg

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, have you considered a house bunny? I've heard that they can be house trained like a cat (seems super convient for poo collection) and you wouldn't have to worry about any of the outside dangers.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
They only go in the pen if I am around. They live in a hutch. When the neighbors had them, they dug so many tunnels the yard almost caved in. As for eating things down, when they were living with the neighbors they did, but they were never fed, so they had to, but I am shocked when I put them in my pen that has herbs. They hardly eat anything when out in the pen, but if I did not feed them their regular pellets and hay, I am sure they would.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
In the house they will eat cords and chew on chair legs etcetera...
But a lot of people do it so it must be workable. Or maybe they just have a high tolerance for furniture damage.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have raised many rabbits... The real scoop ! Rabbits are cute, however they are a prey animal so not meant to be a pet . As such it is meant to be eaten. Also has claws for digging tunnels and scratching , huge front ever growing teeth for chewing and biting hard items like wood to wear them down and both of these for self protection from anything that it perceives as a danger. When rabbits reach maturity ... Males use these weapons to fight to the death for breeding rights. Females will protect their territories even to the death against other female rabbits. Lets just say that a rabbit is at it's best when it is the guest of honor for dinner, anything else ( especially if it is a pet ) will cost you mucho dinero ( Vet. , your home's walls, trim/doors/ carpet, furniture, electric wires, scratching guests, etc.) not to mention your nerves ! :th