Questions on planting & care of Broccoli...

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put out some Pacman seedlings last Fall and WOW does broccoli taste better when it goes from the garden right into the steamer.

I'm starting some seeds indoors now in hopes of getting an early spring harvest, but I may not have it timed right.

GrowsLotsaPeppers

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is why I like this place. LOML asked me this evening if we could plant broccoli in our garden, and whether it could happen now. We're near Oakland, CA.

Going to the garden center in the morning...:)

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GrowsLotsaPeppers said:
This is why I like this place. LOML asked me this evening if we could plant broccoli in our garden, and whether it could happen now. We're near Oakland, CA.

Going to the garden center in the morning...:)
I don't think it's too late for you up there.. You've got a few months.. If you can buy ones already growing that would save you some time -- perhaps a months worth of growing if they're more or less the size we got ours at from the local Armstrong store. I suspect that once you hit May things are going to slide down hill from there and you may not get anything after that -- but I could be wrong.

Last night I harvested two heads -- one smaller one (in the picture) and a slightly larger one near it.. Some of the larger is in the fridge but the rest were eaten last night.. Unfortunately I steamed it a bit too long but it was still tasty! I put a little drizzled balsamic vinegar on it and -- yum!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am yet to succeed with any cool season crop other then radish!

Seriously... you should harvest your broccoli soon, it looks perfect. Just do as Steve suggested, and Obsessed has some great advice too.

RickF

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Seriously... you should harvest your broccoli soon, it looks perfect. Just do as Steve suggested, and Obsessed has some great advice too.
Oh I have.. Our family is eaten about 50% of the broccoli seen in those plants now.. In fact my wife gave a large piece away to an visiting nurse that was over today (my wife had a recent hip replacement)..