digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
IMG_20201020_172906_kindlephoto-150589916.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
From a newspaper column.....

In one of my classes at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, we were discussing the power of language and the importance of precision. I brought up the rampant use of ''like'' and challenged the students to avoid the word during the remaining 45 minutes of class. We went on to talk about a number of thorny language issues. Despite their best efforts, students participating in the discussions would sometimes let a ''like'' slip in: ''That is, like, terrible.''

Soon enough, though, they became invested in the experiment and deliberately shunned the word. I noticed their discussions became more deliberate, more precise.

At the end of the session, I asked the class if they had noticed anything. One student said, ''Yeah, man, that was hard. I had to slow down and think about everything I wanted to say.''

Another student provided the comment I was going to make: ''Might not be a bad idea all the time.''

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

In one of my classes at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, we were discussing the power of language and the importance of precision. I brought up the rampant use of ''like'' and challenged the students to avoid the word during the remaining 45 minutes of class. We went on to talk about a number of thorny language issues. Despite their best efforts, students participating in the discussions would sometimes let a ''like'' slip in: ''That is, like, terrible.''

Soon enough, though, they became invested in the experiment and deliberately shunned the word. I noticed their discussions became more deliberate, more precise.

At the end of the session, I asked the class if they had noticed anything. One student said, ''Yeah, man, that was hard. I had to slow down and think about everything I wanted to say.''

Another student provided the comment I was going to make: ''Might not be a bad idea all the time.''

this is very similar to something a few friends and i did years ago. words/phrases "like, um, you know, man, groovy, gnarly, bogus, hip, tubular, etc." all were discouraged. i really liked it... i'm not a big talker in the morning anyways so less to say is always good there for me...

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
We probably all know someone who has those mannerisms. My family lived in California until the children were teens; so when we moved to Wisconsin, they had "Cali Girl" accents. Having lived here longer than they lived in California, they've now outgrown those mannerisms.

One of the floor supervisors at my previous job had one of those annoying mannerisms, ending every other sentence with "OK?" or "all right?'. It became an inside joke, where those at the meeting would glance at each other, and covertly begin counting on our fingers. It was distracting to the point where we were more interested in counting than we were in what he was saying. :lol: It was doubly funny because he seemed to be completely oblivious to this.

Last edited:

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

I like(d) that!