Rabbit Bedding

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you use for bedding for outside rabbit ? I have been buying rabbit bedding for supermarket. They are small bags, that are kind of pricey. Bags are labeled Winter bedding for rabbits and guinea pigs. Would hay or straw work now that springs here.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
What do you use for bedding for outside rabbit ? I have been buying rabbit bedding for supermarket. They are small bags, that are kind of pricey. Bags are labeled Winter bedding for rabbits and guinea pigs. Would hay or straw work now that springs here.
Surely you jest ! I have raised thousands of rabbits and not a one used any bedding at all... all of my rabbits had all wire cages , including the floor (floor 1/2" x 1" galvanized wire , sides and top 1" x 2" galvanized wire) which makes for easy poop drop through. But since you asked... go to a country feed store and buy a bale of pine shavings... should last you a L O N G time just for one overpampered rabbit. Hay or straw will only compound your cleaning it out and create a great environment for all types of disease.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pine shavings thanks Bob. I know in large numbers rabbits are kept in bare wire cages, and it is ok. I also believe wire caged rabbits are kept in some kind of building. He is outside, his hutch is only shelter, so want it comfortable for him.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's a nice hutch.
I was just thinking, if they put a small enclosed run underneath it and called it a chicken coop they could get a couple hundred for it.
I'm shocked at the prices people are asking for tiny coops. You'd have to get a lot of eggs for a lot of years to pay for one of those designer jobs.

Hey, look at that, totally hijacked your thread on the 4th post!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I get rabbit droppings from a friend of mine and she uses wood pellets that are for wood pellet stoves. They break down real fast in the garden once they are exposed to precipitation.

THANX RICH

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL thistle your welcome to high jack any of my threads. My hutch is painted same colors as my house. I know what you mean about chicken coops and prices.
Ummm...could we please not talk about chicken coops and prices. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with designer jobs. :p I like pretty.

Mary

Latest posts