Rabbit Bedding

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I kept rabbits as a kid, and DD's and a friend gave me rabbits, so I had more about 10 years ago. Don't keep them now, because I keep chickens and more animals means more daily chores!
The best quarters are 1/2 wire cage and the other a wooden box. More recently, I used horse bedding, because I buy it in bulk. Rabbits teeth constantly grow and they need a piece of wood to chew on, else they will destroy their house chewing on IT.
There are arguments that you can use cedar shavings, but I don't keep those, since cedar and other hardwoods are toxic to horses.
Any poo that falls though the hardware cloth can be raked up for gardening.
Your rabbit WILL poo and pee in the inside box, too, and the bedding and the ammonia hits you like a wall if you don't remove it.
I discovered a pine product made from boiled and extruded and dry sawdust, and it goes by many names. You can buy it in 40 pound packages and the one I prefer is called, "Equine Fresh." I use it in my stalls where my horses prefer to pee. Disregard the directions that tell you to mist it down, and it will soak up urine twice. The second time you remove and replace it. I would put that in whatever corner your rabbit pees and then use either medium pine shavings and/or straw. Rabbits will lay where it is dry and appreciate the bedding.
Buy your bedding at a farm supply store. Although I can buy straw in season for about $3.00/bale, and Rural King sells it at $6.00/bale (approximately 45-50 pounds), buying small "Hamster sized" bales of straw at a pet store will break your budget. You can lay down some 2 x 4's or a pallet and store it on that. You can retie the baling twine smaller to hold it together after you cut the bale open.
They can eat pellets and/or alfalfa hay. I would even suggest horse alfalfa cubes that are sometimes hard as a rock, and will help the rabbits teeth.
I prefer to buy animal feed in 40-50 pound bags and I store in steel garbage cans, that I buy brand new, just for that purpose.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts