Radelishus

MIchael Hibberd

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a surplus of radish going on and have been eating them roasted recently, mostly as snacks.

These were roasted for 10-15 mins in black pepper, salt, fresh thyme and olive oil. Spread on brown toast splashed with a tad more oil. A nice taster in the day.

But..

Anyone got any super secret lush recipes for a larger number of radish? ;D

Attachments

• Radish.JPG
    Radish.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 158
  • RadishMeal.JPG
    RadishMeal.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 175

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha, Michael . . ! Sometimes a garden can be a little too generous.

I bet 99.9% of Americans have never eaten a cooked radish! When the Soviet Union began to open up, I sent away for some "soviet seed." One thing I got was a "white Russian" radish.

I thought it was really special because it didn't have hairy leaves. I decided to try eating the leaves in a stir-fry. They were good so I thought I could just cut up the entire plant for stir-fry . . . That was good, too!

By the way, I have since tried hairy-leaf radish greens and the "hair" disappears when they are cooked!
:idunno

Mom used to make bread. My brother and I would churn cream from our milk cows. We would have sandwiches with homemade bread and butter with sliced radishes!

:) Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never thought about roasting them, I am one of those 99% Steve spoke about. Just always ate them fresh. Roasted sounds intriguing.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
No help here. But that sure sounds good. Although having too many radishes has never happened here! We are lucky to get 1/4 of what we planted. :(

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Roasting radishes. That sounds like something I should try. DH is the only one who eats them now and there are always way too many getting tough before they are harvested. Thanks!

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never tried radishes cooked in any way but have thought about throwing them in stew before. As far as recipes go the only way we use then is raw in quinoa salad. It has radishes, quinoa (duh!), cumbers and a few other thing. I'll see if I can get the recipe.

Chickie'sMoma - that's good to here, I don't like the spicy radishes. I grow them to break up the soil (and I like how easy they are to grow/save seed from) and have been trying to find different ways of using them.

A thought - radish seed pods are edible. Maybe the mature seeds can be ground and used as a thickener/ thrown into flour to give whatever it is a nice radish taste?

Latest posts