Radish GREENS; Who eats them other than my tortoise?

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just pulled up my first radishes, yea for me!! The radishes are huge, I may have waited too long. The greens are incredible! I was wondering if they are edible? I always fed them to my tortoise when I got them from the market.

I have a wonderful big bunch here on my counter and would like to know if anyone out there eats them and how.

Thank you!! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are edible! I mixed some up and ate them in a garlic stirfry with spinach and onions. I added the actual radishes to a salad that night I did that... I was so super full on so many yummy greens!!!!

(Just cook them longer then the spinach which only needs to wilt... so add onions, carmelize... then add radish greens and finish off with spinach before removing from heat.)

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yup! I graze on them when I'm out in the garden.

:happy_flower I'd graze on the weeds too, but my chickens have first dibs!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There's also a Chinese variety of radish which was bred for it's seed-pods which you use in stir-fries. I think they are called Rat-tailed Radishes! Not the most attractive name ;) They are very tasty however!! :D

:rose Hattie :rose

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just found out about the edibility last year. Here's a recipe I found but have not yet tried:

Radish Top Soupallrecipes.com
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, diced
2 medium potatoes, sliced
4 cups raw radish greens
4 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup heavy cream
5 radishes, sliced

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and saut until tender. Mix in the potatoes and radish greens, coating them with the butter. Pour in chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
2. Allow the soup mixture to cool slightly, and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth.
3. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Mix in the heavy cream. Cook and stir until well blended. Serve with radish slices.

mtn_penny

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have never tried the tops usually they hit the compost or chickens. Ya must want to eat the super young ones cause my greens get kinda spiney. But then again this was my first year for turnips as well and I really did not care for the greens but they to were/ are not new sprouts.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
I just found out about the edibility last year. Here's a recipe I found but have not yet tried:

Radish Top Soupallrecipes.com
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, diced
2 medium potatoes, sliced
4 cups raw radish greens
4 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup heavy cream
5 radishes, sliced

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, and saut until tender. Mix in the potatoes and radish greens, coating them with the butter. Pour in chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes.
2. Allow the soup mixture to cool slightly, and transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth.
3. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Mix in the heavy cream. Cook and stir until well blended. Serve with radish slices.
Thank you!! I love soups so I will definitely give this a try!

Latest posts