rain water collection - suggestions? UPDATE!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So I would like to collect the rainwater off our roof, and I have the gutters and downspouts installed, I just need the barrels.
I made a bad career move at the beginning of the year and have been unemployed on and off for the past two months, so there's no money to buy the $100 ready-made barrels they're selling at the store.
Buying a 55 gallon barrel by itself, even on craigslist, would run me at least $25, and I'd like to have at least two barrels, so that would be a cheaper alternative, but still pricey right now. Same goes for large barrels or trash cans from home improvement stores.

I'm more interested in looking for FREE barrels that I can convert myself. I'm not sure, however, where to start looking. I was thinking maybe big buffet-style restaurants? I don't want to be that weirdo who shows up looking for barrels, but surely they must get their pickles, etc. in some kind of barrel-style container?
Has anyone gotten any for free, and if so, where?
Maybe you are using a different container to hold your water and wouldn't mind sharing your set-up?
THANKS!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The dialysis unit at your local hospital gets barrels of kind of like a pickling solution. They use a lot (it doesn't go into the patients but is run thru the machines ;)).

Big blue plastic barrels but, I suppose you could paint them. And, there hasn't been anything especially bad in them, so they can just be rinsed out. I've got barrels from them. Shipping & receiving guys, usually nice people - their job is taking care of folks that need their help, too.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was lucky and managed to get a metal one free from a trash drop-off/recycling center when dropping off recyling stuff. They were not supposed to let me have it, but... Then I found two food-grade metal barrels for $6 each at a container store near here. I found the container store by talking to my county extension agent. I called for something else (looking for compost in bulk) and happened to mention I needed rain barrels. You'd be surprised what diverse knowledge the county extension agent may have. Maybe I just have a good one.

Good luck!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the great suggestions! Defintely some starting points. I will poke around town and make some phone calls tomorrow.
Thanks again!

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hey Growin, whereabout in SC are you? I'm near the coast in Hollywood, and sometimes I can get plastic barrels from the seafood stores, wholesalers, etc. for cheap and sometimes free.

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good heavens, I have been hatching chicks and haven't popped in for several days!

Whem DH and I were looking for a house, Hollywood was referred to in real estate ads as "rural West Ashley"! :lol:

As soon as things settle down, we'll have to do a meet and greet! :woot

Do you have chickens? Want some? :D

ETA, there's a place on Azalea Drive in North Chuck that sells barrels for a pretty reasonable price. A while back, someone was selling food grade barrels in the P&C classifieds, under the livestock section.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ranchhand said:
Good heavens, I have been hatching chicks and haven't popped in for several days!

Whem DH and I were looking for a house, Hollywood was referred to in real estate ads as "rural West Ashley"! :lol:

As soon as things settle down, we'll have to do a meet and greet! :woot

Do you have chickens? Want some? :D

ETA, there's a place on Azalea Drive in North Chuck that sells barrels for a pretty reasonable price. A while back, someone was selling food grade barrels in the P&C classifieds, under the livestock section.
Ha! "Rural West Ashley!" That's funny! I Live in an older neighborhood right around 526 off of 17, so it's not so rural, but we have a larger yard than most of the new construction around here. How big is your property? Do you have garden photos? I love looking at other peoples' gardens!

I would LOVE chickens, but we made the decision a few years ago to get another dog instead of chickens, so it's no chickens for now. We were going to get some ameracaunas, buff orpingtons and my hubby wanted a silky. I started building the coop, but then the third dog came into our lives and we put things on hold. I am looking for a job right now (yay economy!), so there's no money to spare. Maybe some day I will be the market for chicks. What kind do you have?

Thanks for the heads-up on the cheap rain barrels, I'll look into that to see if I can find them.

Svenja

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I put a rain barrel together! Check my blog for a photo/video of it. I am so glad this project is finally done! Let the rain collecting begin! Thanks to ranchhand's suggestion, I found a barrel for $20 in the classifieds. Yay!:celebrate
Good stuff.