rain water collection - suggestions? UPDATE!

Liberty7

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is what "I" did! I put gutters (CHEAP) on two sides of my backyard shed; bought two 32-gal., plastic, garbage cans (CHEAP) and put them in the BACK of the shed (so they were not an unsightly item;) and, found 'flexible' downspouts to go FROM the gutters INTO the garbage cans.

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You can also post to Freecycle for syrup barrels for pop/soda/coke fountains. I've heard and seen LOTS of these posted on the net. Nice addition is that they are food grade.

I'm super jealous of those of you that can harvest rain water. Here, in Colorado, you can buy everything to make a rainwater harvesting system but it is illegal to use it. It has to do with water rights for people downstream of Colorado, like Nebraska, Kansas and New Mexico. It's really very frustrating.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
aidenbaby said:
You can also post to Freecycle for syrup barrels for pop/soda/coke fountains. I've heard and seen LOTS of these posted on the net. Nice addition is that they are food grade.

I'm super jealous of those of you that can harvest rain water. Here, in Colorado, you can buy everything to make a rainwater harvesting system but it is illegal to use it. It has to do with water rights for people downstream of Colorado, like Nebraska, Kansas and New Mexico. It's really very frustrating.
Huh? That doesn't make any sense! Harvesting rain is illegal? How does a rain barrel affect peope in Nebraska, etc.?

My whole set up cost me $50. The next one will be cheaper, because it wi be an overflow barrel, so I won't need another flexible downspout. I also found a source for free barrels. Yay!

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It has something to do with the table water and river water. I don't know. To me, it's a bunch of hogwash and so upsetting when I see the gutters full to overflow during torrental (?) rains and not being able to use them. I have thought about getting some illegal ones for the back yard though. To go along with my illegal chickens of course. :plbb

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd do it if I were use!

My view is once that water hits your land, its your water!!! You don't have to share with anyone. Long as you don't harvest water on public property or state property... who should care... all that goes to run off.

Just do it!

;)

aidenbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Oh, another thing I've heard of is putting feeder goldfish in the barrel to eat algae. I don't know if it's effective but might be worth a try. The most you could lose is $.50 worth of feeder goldfish (that's about 4 fish).

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yup...keeping rain water or reusing grey water from your washing machine is illegal in Colorado. Hasn't stopped me from gutting an old washing machine and making a rain barrel though....LOL

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is technically illegal in WA state too. I don't think they enforce it, and they recently talked about changing it to make it only illegal for large scale collectors (not typical homeowner collectors).

No, unfortunately you do not own the water that falls on your plot. It is considered the waters of the state.

nightshade

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifevilla do you mean like an old wringer washer? How did you do it and how did it look when it came out?

Latest posts