Rainwater Collection

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is so interesting. I've considered collecting from my equipment shed roof but never got past the thinking stage.
How do you direct water into successive totes/barrels? Are there connecting pipes at the top?
The short answer is no. If you look at the photos, that shows how one man daisy chains multiple totes together, you will see that he used the spigot, that came with the totes, to hook the three together at the bottom. And if you look closely, you can see a black elbow pipe going into the top of the right tote. That is where the rainwater runoff goes in.

What happens, with this kind of system, is the water goes into the first tote. As the tote fills, water runs into the next two totes, via the connecting pipes, at the bottom. As the water flows between the three totes the water level, in the three totes, goes up equally. So, the water level in all three totes will be the same.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Someone on my journal (Devonviolet Acres) suggested algae growth would be a problem with the white semi-opaque plastic allowing light through, and he is right. He suggested hanging black plastic around the totes or painting the totes black or adding some copper sulfate to the water.

Here is my reply:
We have seen how algae grows in the white totes, and were planning to put some kind of cover on the totes, to minimize algae growth. Copper sulfate is not a good option, because we are also planning to use this water, for the animals & eventually to raise fish.

We have access to very reasonably priced galvanized sheet metal siding. We can also get a variety of colors. A local metal siding company sells remnants, in 8 foot lengths, for $1.60/foot. The totes are 48" tall, so an 8'X30" length of siding wouId cover 5 feet.

This is the West side of the building, which gets lots of hot sun, during the summer. Black absorbs heat & the last thing we need is to make the water hot. Not good for the garden.

We are planning to screw wood strips to the corners of the metal framework & then screw white metal siding to the wood. The white color would reflect the sun, to keep the water cooler, yet not give the algae light, so it couldn't flourish. The wood strips would hold the metal away from the tote, to allow cooling airflow. Win, win!

A friend has a tote, that he raises goldfish in, for aquaponics. He uses canvas painter's dropcloth, for a type of curtain, to block sunlight. The problem I saw with that, is that mold is now growing in the fabric.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure how you feel about chemicals. In the fish section of pet store are algae destoryers for fish tanks. Safe enough to use with live fish, there are also fish that eat algae.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your rainwater totes are fantastic! I wonder how long the water will remain fresh and will you have to treat it?
Thanks, Bay!

We plan to put hose size connectors on the spirits, so we can water the garden & animals, with the water, rather than pay the co-op for water. So, we should use up the water while it is still fresh. I most likely wouldn't treat the water, because we want to stay chemical free.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Will you be drinking any of this water ?
Probably not. But, if it comes to that, we have a 3 gallon Berkey gravity water filter.

I have been assured, by several different sources, that water coming off the roof does not pick up chemicals, from the shingles. Although it likely picks up dust & dirt from the air. Animals & gardens get that kind of dirt on a daily basis. So, it isn't much of an issue. However, I personally would prefer to filter it before I drink it.

It is also possible to put a pre-filter between the gutter & tote, to catch any gross particles coming from the roof/gutter.

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Our two blue barrels, that were collecting water pumped from our crawlspace, filled to overflowing in about 5 hours.

I asked DH to go check the first barrel after 2 hours. He had looked under the house (through the hatch door in the closet) & said there was no water, so he didn't think the barrel would be full yet. An hour later I asked again. This time he humored me & went out to check.

He came back to say he was surprised to find the barrel full, so he moved the hose to the 2nd barrel. 2 hours later he went out to check & THAT barrel was full! That's 110+ gallons in 5 hours!

Last edited:

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe @Carol Dee waters her large vegetable garden with just collected rain water.
We try, but the summer we had a big drought we had to haul it. What a PAIN! The garden is 2 miles from the house and no well or city water. I like (no LOVE) Devonviolets set up. We need a few more collection containers. I think we need to look for some of those square ones. ;)

Devonviolet

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DH just came in & told me he had rinsed & placed 2 more barrels (220 gallons!) for the crawlspace water collection.

He rinsed & placed the 1st one & by the time he rinsed the 2nd one, the pump had already 1/2 full. When he came in to tell me about it the 1st one was 2/3 full. We have 2 more barrels. He said he's going to place those with the others. We will then have a total of 330 gallons! YIKES! :epthat's a LOT of water coming from under our house!!!

UPDATE: 5 minutes after I posted this DH checked the 4th barrel & it is FULL!!!

Latest posts