Rainwater Collection

Devonviolet

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All I wanted to do was change the flooring in my kitchen. It snowballed into a total gutted room. And I don't cook..
YIKES! :ep I can totally identify!

Just the other day, when we were on a ladder, checking the gutters, we saw that the roof, about 3 feet up from the room's edge, has a big dip in it (about 4 feet in diameter). We don't know if he just did a bad job installing the plywood because he couldn't tell it wasn't level). Or, is there a Totten spot under the shingles? Does this mean we have to pull shingles up & replace plywood? I sure hope not!

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Devon thank you for opening my eyes !!! I don't know why I never thought to get one of the large totes for water collection. I was fooling around with 55 gallon drums, was going to connect several of them together. 1st task for my new old pick up will be to get a tote !!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You all ... practicing my southern accent ~ y'all ... okay, I'll stop !

... have different climate opportunities ;).

I did some checking. @Nyboy , you have over 4" of monthly rain on average in NYC during July and August. If you could control the storms, you wouldn't hardly need supplemental irrigation ... ah but, if ;). I'd say if you can make use of rainwater collection, it could be a good thing.

@Carol Dee, almost the same thing in Davenport - about 4" of rain each month during those summer months.

Tyler Texas has about 2 1/2" on average monthly ... you sure don't have control of those clouds ever year and it was not kind weather, DevonViolet !

Anyway, it was fun looking for the info. I hope I came close enuf on location. By the way, I've got my own personal accent ;).

Steve

Devonviolet

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You all ... practicing my southern accent ~ y'all ... Okay, I'll stop !

Tyler Texas has about 2 1/2" on average monthly ... you sure don't have control of those clouds ever year and it was not kind weather, DevonViolet !

Anyway, it was fun looking for the info. I hope I came close enuf on location. By the way, I've got my own personal accent ;).

Steve
:lol: Having lived in TX for 6 years, with my EX (back in the late 70's/early 80's), I slip into the southern drawl without even realizing it. Y'all just rolls off my tongue, like I was born here. :gig
However, I have lived on both coasts and points in between, as we'll as north & south (including Minnesooooda :gig). I've been told I have a universal accent.

DH, on the other hand, is originally from North Dakota, and then lived most of his life in Minnesota. I can't begin to tell you how many times someone has said to my DH, "You're not from around here, are you?" :lol: :gig :lol:

We live about an hour, 15 minutes north of Tyler. Depending on how the storms track, we could get more or less rain than Tyler. @baymule is an hour south of us, and during one storm we got 5 inches & she got 11-1/2 inches!!! :ep :th

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep @digitS' we live 8 miles north of Davenport. Weather is certainly unpredictable, We have gone months without adequate water, then a summer of near constant rains. The Mississippi river left it banks 3 times a few years ago.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't begin to tell you how many times someone has said to my DH, "You're not from around here, are you?" :lol: :gig :lol:
I bet!

I've never said this to Bay' but I'd planned on spending a little time in Tyler during a looong drive from Florida back to California. It was January and Tyler was so cold I figured I'd be more comfortable in the car with the heater!!!

On another occasion I did enjoy a month in east Texas but it was in Corpus Christi :).

Those Minnesotans and Dakotans ran head on into the Californians coming here 40 - 50 years ago. Mom liked to tell a story ;): When they complained about the Californians she would ask, "And, where are you from?" Then, she would say, "Oh? I was born here." Of course, her Canadian father thought it was god-forsaken country and couldn't wait to get back to southern California. Ha!

@Carol Dee , you should stop on the way to the garden and just need a bucket and a dip in the river.

Steve

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here in the SW area of Wa., we had 4 .5" of rain last month... it was a all day long light rain / drizzle all but for 4 rainless days which were cloudy. Our rain year starts at Oct. 1, and we now have just over 40 inches of rain so far which is 50% over average. August to mid Sept are the dryest part of the year where there may be an inch of rain for the entire month.

Latest posts