Raised bed material

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
I dont want to "step in it" if this has already been addressed, --if so I overlooked it--but is there anything in cement blocks that could leach out and be bad for the food in raised beds??
I do not think so... long as its actual CEMENT. Don't forget there are chemically engineered things meant to look like cement or wood or whatever else where I'm not so sure what exactly are in it. However, I don't see why these wouldn't work. People use them to create retaining walls and plant in them all the time! ;)

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
4grandbabies said:
I dont want to "step in it" if this has already been addressed, --if so I overlooked it--but is there anything in cement blocks that could leach out and be bad for the food in raised beds??
I do not think so... long as its actual CEMENT. Don't forget there are chemically engineered things meant to look like cement or wood or whatever else where I'm not so sure what exactly are in it. However, I don't see why these wouldn't work. People use them to create retaining walls and plant in them all the time! ;)
Well said V!

Cement blocks would only leach out Lime I do believe. But not enough to change to much of the surrounding soil's PH.

Blocks are kiln dried and cured, If set in mortar that may change things a little, but I don't fell it would cause any trouble.

Joe

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love the idea too- which is why I'd like to incorporate it here! We don't need to worry about termites- since our gardens and beds are away from the house- we've got 5 1/2 acres here. Of course, on a house lot, or smaller area, it would be wise to watch out.

PunkinPeep said:
nettie,

i LOVE that idea!

Joe,

if we're talking about raised beds that aren't near your house, is the termite business likely to cause a problem with the vegetables?

Greg R.

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Another reason not to use sides to your raised beds is when the opportunity is there to raise your beds higher I take it. The higher it is faster the soil will warm up allowing you to get off to a faster start as well as last longer from frost.