Raised beds, watering system & pavers are finished

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter said:
SewingDiva,

The canola oil works, but it doesn't have the viscosity to protect the pump correctly. It will be alright for a while, but eventually it will fail. We've seen some extensive damage on some pumps from the use of vegetable oil, which may never be an issue for you, if you think you'll be replacing yours in a couple of seasons anyway.

I imagine that you are not wanting to use toxic machine oils, especially with having to use it every time.

There's something else, though, which is a non-toxic, food-grade machine oil used primarily for meat packing items etc., but it's now being utilized for pumps etc.

It's especially good for diaphragm pumps, when they fail....which they do every couple of years....as it avoids the oil you use ending up in the water tank. But it's just as good for smaller pumps.

A couple of companies have it now, including Hypro.

If you can't find any, and want to use it, please let me know, and we can see about sending you some from here. :)
Wow Tutter - this is sage advice, and in our blissful ignorance I never would have considered this, this is why I love this forum...I'm emailing DH as you read this!

I also may take you up on your generous offer after I see what we can find locally. :hugs ! !

~Phyllis

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Question. Does the downspout from the roof go into a basin for all the barrels? Do you move it to the next barrel when one is full? Just wondering?
Actually, the downspout goes into just the barrel on the far right through a mosquito screen, and the bottom white pipe that connects all four barrels allows the water to seek its own level and rise evenly between all four when it rains. And then the overflow valve at the top of each barrel takes care of things when the barrels fill to capacity - the overflow spigots at the top of each barrel are open at all times.

I have to say I was truly amazed at how much roof runoff was just being wasted before we set up these barrels.

So Id really recommend that even people in lower rainfall climates have at least 3 barrels (they are 50 gallons each), and that you collect from the entire slope of your roof - you will be surprised at how much runoff comes down from your roof once you begin to efficiently capture rainwater.

Here in Massachusetts we can't store the water all winter - after the first hard frost we drain the barrels and let them sit empty till the spring. But in warmer climates like California or down south you can probably collect rainwater all year round.

~Phyllis

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
simple life said:
Yeah, maybe a little gentle persuasion, ha ha. Yeah, we don't need no stinkin gnomes round here. Maybe we could hold a new contest and vote for a new avitar for them.
I bet its Tutter using an alias, setting up a new account with a gnome picture just to mess with you.
I think the PC term is "little people" :mad: I don't think I can be a part of a forum that discriminates against the gnome race! :rant

Especially since noone has told me why we are discriminating, so that I can join in on the fun! ,:cool: :D

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SewingDiva, okay I thought that might be the case. Yes, actually overwinter is the only time I'd be able to collect any water.

simple life I bet it is Tutter too!

Beekissed you need to read the thread in the voting to understand the reasoning behind no gnomes. It all stems from a fear of mine.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Whoa, how did this get pinned on me? lolol! Sheesh! :)

You do know that the person with the gnome avatar is going to wonder about these goings ons! I'm waiting for them to come forward and ask what our main problem is. :pop

Yes, Sewing Diva, even up here, north of Oakland, where we, by theory (drought year.) get a lot of rain compared to most of the state, we'd only be able to collect rain part of the year. It doesn't rain here from June until first fall rain, which can be in September, but is more often in October.

Okay, just let me know. :)

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
WOW Sewing Diva :clap that is a very impressive garden and the rain barrel setup is the Bomb :woot
I am going to have DH take a good look at it as he has been talking of doing a rain barrells for the greenhouse, Horse trough and the chicken coop.
So very much good advice for the up keep Thanks
So this will really give him some thought to chew on..:weee

Tell your DH I think he's a Keeper :weight

What so bad about gnomes????
Aren't they just short garden partiers ??? :rolleyes: :gig

I am sure glad I wasn't drinking my cream soda when reading this thread.. I would have had Pats drinking problem :gig

You guys are a hoot :ya :lol:

coopy

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have got to show this to my DH. I have got to have one of them. Wow! Your DH did an excellent job. I love it.

SandraMort

Sprout
Reaction score
What is Trex? I'm trying to decide what to build my raised beds from. My FIL suggested plywood and 2x4's, his look ok but not gorgeous, but they were cheap.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SandraMort said:
What is Trex? I'm trying to decide what to build my raised beds from. My FIL suggested plywood and 2x4's, his look ok but not gorgeous, but they were cheap.
Trex is a composite wood & plastic material used for decks. It never needs to be painted, and it doesn't rot. It's about $2.50 a linear foot in our area.

~Phyllis

purplebaby7

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i just emailed this to my dh and am thinking we could use it to fill pool level... when it goes down too!

i want this for my garden but if i "hook" it to pool TOO ...... it could save us lots of water!

thanks!