Raised Garden... Almost Done! (Updated Photos 3/5/09)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hubby and I got the pea gravel out yesterday!!!! Hooray!!!!

I gotta go get pictures, but I have to move the truck (how nice my truck backs into garden to unload so easily!!!!) out of the garden area so I can get in with the camera.

Sadly, I have an extra 1/2 a yard of pea gravel left?! What do I do with it?

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is one beautiful garden area!! I wish I were that "organized" in my garden. Mine is more the Cottage Garden type, with a wild assortment of flowers and vegetables all together!! My son does very organized gardens. I love the one he did at their house in the Phoenix AZ area a few years back.

This was in March of 2006, you will notice the shade cloth over the beds, here in AZ we get TOO MUCH Sun!!

JessinGarden02.jpg

Here is a better photo of my grand daughter Jessica.
JessingardenMar2006.jpg

They are in Missouri now, just building a new raised vegetable garden with concrete blocks. When it is done I will post some photos of it I am sure it will be just perfect. He is putting in a drip system in the beds.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That is AMAZING!!!!

Oh, I wish mine was that nice. Mine's also sooooooooooooooo small!!! HIs is wow! Whomever bought their house must be loving it :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok I moved the truck and raked everything out. A good rain (it will all weekend, in fact just started to sprinkle now) will dust off the stone to bring the color out. They are mix of beige/tan/red/white river rock gravel. So love these colors!

raised_garden8.jpg

raised_garden9.jpg

Here's the stain we are staining the outside of the beds (didn't want to treat with inside of the wood with chemicals), the gate, our arbor, our bench and our deck! I like the red, its really going to bring everything together... and it'll help the wood lasting longer too.

stain.jpg

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beautiful! Just beautiful. And your coop looks familiar too, I think I've seen it on the Small Coops page on BYC!

Phyllis

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem, I love, love, love it! I wish I had the money to put a fence around mine. When we're out in the garden, the dogs (we have 3) love to dig in it and roll around. :rolleyes:

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a dog too.. I couldnt put such a nice fence.. like VFMs but I used lanscaping timbers.. picked them up during a holiday.. like memorial day or labor day.. (some big sale day) for 1.99 a piece.. that was cheeper than 4x4 posts.. I cut them in half and stuck them in the ground.. then I put 3 foot high field fencing stapled to them.. it wasnt that much.. then because the dog can jump.. I ran electric wire across the top.. I really need to turn it on again.. the dog is getting brave.. Because of the kids I only turn it on to teach the dog then she stays away for months.. one time is all it takes.. VFMs garden is very beautiful.... I would love to have that fence..

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
Hubby and I got the pea gravel out yesterday!!!! Hooray!!!!

I gotta go get pictures, but I have to move the truck (how nice my truck backs into garden to unload so easily!!!!) out of the garden area so I can get in with the camera.

Sadly, I have an extra 1/2 a yard of pea gravel left?! What do I do with it?
The pea gravel looks great, I think you'll be happy with it.

Seems there's always too much, but that can be a good thing! I put the extra gravel out in front of the run gate, it's sloppy there and the gravel raised it just enough to take care of the muck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
The pea gravel looks great, I think you'll be happy with it.

Seems there's always too much, but that can be a good thing! I put the extra gravel out in front of the run gate, it's sloppy there and the gravel raised it just enough to take care of the muck!
That's a great idea... our driveway is dirt, mainly mud right now, I think we're going to splurge and do our driveway with this gravel to get rid of all the mud :p Yuck!

Smom... I bought this fence (and I still have unused panels left... more then I needed) for $300 off craigslist by pulling it out of someone's yard. It was worth every penny.

My husband and I figured we will have spent about $430 (including the fence) total on the veggie garden and ALL our raised beds we put in around the house. That includes what we've factored in for mulch for all of them too.

Add another $150 to that price for Seeds, pots, peat pots, soil and the orchard trees we've ordered. Plus about $100 for my arbor I got for Christmas. We're very happy with that price since we only spent money I earned from selling cookies, or selling seeds on craigslist.

Latest posts