Raised Garden Project - just started!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow it looks so lovely, and professional!!!

I wouldn't know a thing about installing a 'drip system'. Is this attached to your main water, a well or some kind of water catching system? I was thinking maybe a rain barrel?!

If you are worried about pea gravel, I had a thought today. Have you ever heard of 'stepables'? Its ground cover completely made to be walked on... some for heavy traffic... some for light....ect. My mom planted some (I planted it) on a steep slope she has so my father didn't have to mow it. The kids run it over and it comes right back in a matter of days (her's is low traffic though).

http://www.stepables.com/default.asp

Maybe plant that in the walk, throw down some stepping stones?

I got ideas that's for sure... too bad I can't implement them myself sometimes. I'm hoping to use some in a path around the front yard so my husband doesn't have to mow there... just gotta find the right rock first.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
UPDATE!

Well its been a month since planting and everything is growing just fine, in fact a little too fine for my bok choy, some of which bolted last week in the unseasonable warm weather spell we had.

This morning though I was scraping ice off my windshield so things are back to a normal January climate here.
P1010326.jpg

Chicken Woman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I can't even imagine things growing right now ! I am in zone 4 so I am wishing I could be working on my garden. You have done a great job !

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pea gravel really doesn't add anything to reflective heat, it also holds moisture, which tends to mitigate heat. I love having it between my beds.

Nice fencing, I'm definitely going to have to beef up my fencing this spring. Chooks running wild this spring is going to make veggie gardening tough, gotta keep them out!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... you are just rocking things right now Beavis!!! Sheeesh!

Putting me to shame... I've done some work on mine, and I have things growing. I should go update some pictures!

cookiesdaddy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
beavis said:
Today I will be re-hooking up the drip irrigation.

In the past, I used 1 gph drip emitters and they were effective in keeping the veggies with enough water to survive, but not really flourish.

So I am going to use these things called shrubblers that I have used in other parts of my yard.
Hi Beavis - a new gardener here with some questions:

1. Can you elaborate why drip irrigation doesn't work so well? I thought it's supposed to save water, and slower irrigation is better?

2. With the scrubbers how far apart should I position them? If I have 12' x 4' bed, should I run 2 rows of those shrubbers?

3. With those shrubbers, how often do you water? and for how long each time?

Thank you for your help. You have a marvelous garden, or should I say "farm"! :)

I'm just starting to build my bed. My biggest fear: squirrels!

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hey beavis, we have had some great ether. So you have an up date pic on the raised beds? I direct seeded last week and I have little green sprouts everywhere. So exciting. :D