Raising Animals in My Garden

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nothing happens by random chance as this sequence of events proves:

1. OldGal and I decide to get some ducks so I have to give up my garden to enlarge the chicken's run to accommodate them.
2. I decide to plant Kale so I pick a new spot and fire up the tiller.
3. A friend gives us 8 tomato plants so I decide to change from Kale to tomatoes.
4. I'm well on my way when I notice that a Cardinal has picked a spot on the fence about 3' from my garden for her nest.
5. Not wanting to disturb her I put up the gas tiller and get out the spading fork.
6. I finish one pass and decide that it needs a second turning. I put it off until the next day.
7. I started with the fork this morning and turned up 11 eggs, about 1" long buried about 8" deep.

Just think about it. If any of these events hadn't happened in order I wouldn't have found those eggs. :)

Epilogue: Someone is coming from Austin Herpetological Society is coming tomorrow to pick up the eggs. The current guess is that they are some kind of lizard.

The universe provides.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's so cool! I have never come across Lizard eggs. I have so many, They are starting to get names now! Stumpy lost his tail at some point and has a short stump of a tail. He's kind of fat, but really fast without his tail. I think he's a Blue Belly. RacerLizzie is a Western Blue tailed skink, a quick little kid. A bunch of the little ones I just call Lizzie.

I was helping my neighbor with his garden today. He's going without raised beds, so yep, we were shoveling and using the spading fork. He came up with a brown pupa.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... that sounds like the story hubby and I had putting in the raised bed by the pond. While digging we managed to turn up turtle eggs! They were hatching at the time, so just walked away and let them finish.

While reading your story, at first I thought it was a vent then I realized just how magically it actually was. Isn't nature amazing!? :weight

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ahhh, so sorry to hear about the Cardinal. They are so beautiful. When I lived in Montana I only saw one there. They "visit" southwest Montana on rare occasion.

I think the most beautiful bird here is the Stellars Jay, but there are other strong contenders here for beauty! Bald Eagles, some black headed yellow bird, Flickers, Machine guns er Woodpeckers of at least 2 kinds, Hummingbirds...

Sung to the tune "Circle of Life"...

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
MS...I love that song....
OG....just think if you had just tilled the eggs would have been distroyed...how cool hope they let you know what kind of lizard layed those eggs...

Latest posts