Raspberry/Blackberry... UPDATED *** Picture

ShellieESterling

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My father has blackberries behind his house, but I think they were always ready to eat around July/August. The little bushes behind our place don't seem to be anywhere close to edible. The leaves look more like raspberries to me, but here's a photo of the berries themselves.

Ideas?

2656384488_6e1fe54440.jpg

Mossy Rock

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have been eating our blackberries since the middle of June, and the raspberries were even earlier.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It depends greatly where you are, when blackberries etc. are ripe. Some areas in N. California have them already, but in my area, blackberries are always ripe at the end of August, into September. :)

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here in Oregon, we have a Marionberry variety that grows wild everywhere there is water nearby. Usually they are ready to be picked by no later than the second week in August. However, the plants were just flowering last week. I figure they won't be ready around here until the end of Sept at the earliest. I'm not sure what you've got there, but nice photos. Can we just call them "greenberries" until further notice? :lol:

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is sure ripening up to look like a blackberry to me.

aee96

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm in South Texas and my blackberries ripen in late April - early May.

They were very plentiful this year. I wish some had made it to the freezer. But I ate or gave away all of them.

Amy

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There is a black strain of raspberry plant that grows wild. Your close-up picture of the green ones do look like blackberry's though. Perhaps this will help.

From a senior naturalist, David H Thompson, Quote "The easiest way to tell black raspberries and blackberries apart is by the berries and the canes. As they mature, the fruits of both change color from green to red to deep purplish black. However, the ripe raspberry is a cup that slips from a central knob or core. In the blackberry the core is part of the ripe fruit. The cross-section of a blackberry cane is a five-pointed star. The raspberry's is circular. Also, the latter is dusted with a silvery powder that rubs off with the touch of a finger." Unquote. Here is a good video of some differences as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR6EQ6Hv5Y4&feature=user

I noticed a few ripe blackberry's while out golfing the other day. These were the small vine variety. Sometimes called dewberry.

The bush blackberry's that grow in wild abundance along roadsides, ditches, etc, are just finishing flowering, and should be ready mid-August to harvest. These are the ones that are locally sought after. We usually get several buckets full for jams, jelly's, and freezing for pie making, etc.. You can sure get scarred up picking these babys, as they have the huge, numerous thorns. They stem from the rose family, so I guess that figures.:rolleyes: People are pretty secretive about the good patch's of these. The roadside patch's are usually picked over pretty quick.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
we've always just called them black raspberries but Im sure theres a real name, im near you and ours are ripening. the time frame is pretty wide some places are done and some are just starting. my son knows all the good spots, he and his friend picked so much my grandmother was able to make many pints of jelly.

Latest posts