Ready for Self-Sufficient Gardening?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD bought a bunch of flour, sugar, rice and other supplies. I already had a full storage jar, the kind with the plastic screw on top, of rice, so I pulled out one of my 1/2 gallon jars. These make excellent dry goods storage containers. No humidity, no bugs, and with metal lids, no mice. Just some fyi...

I am doing the same as your daughter and trying to get DD to pick up extra. She and her husband are getting 1/4 side of beef for the freezer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The meaningful exercise of gardening is the right one for me, too.

However, I appreciate my body feeling comfortable. Problems with my joints have been with me since I was in my single digitS'. Exercise has always made me feel better unless I was actually injured. And then, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Gardening is great not just for producing food and beauty. There is all that stretching involved.

DW takes special pleasure in having beautiful plants. I take special pleasure in having beautiful food for the kitchen. Well, we both do :).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The meaningful exercise of gardening is the right one for me, too.

However, I appreciate my body feeling comfortable. Problems with my joints have been with me since I was in my single digitS'. Exercise has always made me feel better unless I was actually injured. And then, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Gardening is great not just for producing food and beauty. There is all that stretching involved.

DW takes special pleasure in having beautiful plants. I take special pleasure in having beautiful food for the kitchen. Well, we both do :).

Steve

yes. all those strange things that gardening gets us to do, how to move and stretch, but i find that being busy and keeping my mind occupied also helps take the focus off the pain. i am due for another visit to the chiropractor but have been putting it off and of course that doesn't help either, but i can cope with the pain, i'm used to it enough it doesn't affect my sleep or other things. what i wish for would be that magic pill which re-engineers the spine to be stronger and to not pinch nerves or to burst discs. i'm pretty sure in the distant future we may actually re-engineer things in our own beings to avoid such problems or perhaps we will decide to become machines in part (i don't think that is a good idea but...).

appreciate the food and beauty too for sure!

as they say though, now is the time to get to it. the day is on us so away we go. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lambs go to slaughter next month, hogs go in August, calf comes in, slaughtering Cornish Cross now. No meat shortage here. Now to work on those veggies! LOL my jars are empty!

Bay, your pantries, freezers and such will be bursting at the seams! And such good, clean food, too....must make you feel really good! You are one hard working woman! Will you be eating any of your lambs this season?

Working on the garden today.....putting in more spuds than normal, both red and white varieties. My jars are mostly full, so I had to go out and buy more jars...and I'll continue to do that as it comes to my mind, as I expect I'll have a lot more meat to can up this fall~lamb and possibly deer if they aren't all cleaned out by fall. My neighbors don't exactly wait until deer season to hunt.

I'll be putting every spare chicken in a jar, as well as canning more stock also, so will need a lot of extra jars. The whole underside of Mom's bed is completely empty if I run out of room in the pantry for the canned goods. ;):D This year every jar is getting filled with SOMETHING.

MinnesotaGardening

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Lambs go to slaughter next month, hogs go in August, calf comes in, slaughtering Cornish Cross now. No meat shortage here. Now to work on those veggies! LOL my jars are empty!
We just butchered a young cow who broke her leg, and our freezer was already full. So we were able to share with family. I'm a little jealous that you will likely be filling those veggie jars soon. I'm just hoping to get into my garden soon! It was still in the 20s at night this week here.

Latest posts