Real Cooking in the Microwave

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
mainly for oatmeal in the morning. i put the ingredients in the bowl and bring it to a boil (takes about 2 minutes). then i set it on power level 2 and time of 8:11 and let it go. undercooked oatmeal plays terror on my digestive system but when i cook it long enough it's fine.

tapioca pudding has become critical the past few months. i'm really enjoying getting my recipe dialed in.

in the summer months cooking up beans and shellies is happening in the microwave. Mom likes to cook potatoes in the mic, also for cooking other things on the stove she's started to cook things like chopped onions and celery in the microwave to soften them up first instead of frying them in the pan, she says it saves her time. she doesn't brown onions ever. i love 'em browned in the pan also with potatoes with some brown on them.

mainly i use it to reheat food or to make hot water for hot cocoa, tea, coffee, fake coffee, warm up bread, warm up a cookie, make bacon bits crunchy, heat through a grilled sandwich (the ham is cold so i want it warmed up), etc.

it is very rare for me to cook a full main meal in the microwave (from scratch).

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With apple season fully upon us, I will cook chopped apples in the microwave. Awfully simple but ...

DW is oriented towards Honeycrisp and others that are especially good raw. They are fine but starchy apples hold up to "baking" in the microwave. Sprinkling in some raisins and, if'n you really want to indulge yourself, splashing in some cream - nice fruit for breakfast or a dessert.

Heated my roast beef sandwich from the deli ... oh, that doesn't count!

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
With apple season fully upon us, I will cook chopped apples in the microwave. Awfully simple but ...

DW is oriented towards Honeycrisp and others that are especially good raw. They are fine but starchy apples hold up to "baking" in the microwave. Sprinkling in some raisins and, if'n you really want to indulge yourself, splashing in some cream - nice fruit for breakfast or a dessert.

Heated my roast beef sandwich from the deli ... oh, that doesn't count!

Steve
I use 10 percent power to defrost beef in a micro. Only way to avoid the off flavors. Better to use another method imo but it will get inside a big hunk of whatever where with little amounts its not saving me any time.

littlemary1234

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
You know, right now, I can only think of baked potatoes and squash. Reheating or boiling some water - this is the extent of regular microwave use in our kitchen.

My attempt at using it for making pear butter is not likely to be repeated. The flavor is fine and it did set up kinda okay with the addition of pectin but I shouldn't have had to do that!

I'm very inclined to slip my slightly-undercooked omlet or scrambled eggs in the machine but don't much care for eggs scrambled and cooked solely in the microwave.

Do you use a microwave for any first to last cooking?

Steve
who seems to remember trying a microwave for a casserole once or twice
I use it to par cook potatoes that I intend to fry up or bake.

Latest posts