Recipe: Fried Cabbage and Sausage

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going real radical ... and, answering your question here about when to toss the sliced radishes into the stir-fry, So Lucky ;) (another thread).

I'm gonna forget the butter and go with @rainey 's Italian sausage, the spicy version :). (Johnsonville isn't okay, @flowerbug ?)

For cabbage, I'm substituting Portuguese kale (or, any kind of kale). Instead of diced tomatoes, I'm going with diced potatoes (or, white beans).

And finally, I will dump a quart or two of beef broth in there! Yep, I've made Portuguese kale soup :D.

Oh, and those slices of radish for a stir-fry: I don't fry anything except the garlic, onions and meat for very long. The radishes will go in with their separated tops and the chopped bok choy, choy sum, broccoli raab and/or whatever ;).

Steve

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
(Johnsonville isn't okay, @flowerbug ?)

it's ok, but it isn't what i'm looking for. some Italian recipe and someone knows it up in the western UP of MI, but i haven't found it yet on-line or in my own experiments trying to make it. it has a lot of garlic in it and some other things which may be extracts or liquors. perhaps it may even be a specific brand of liquor i've not found yet. when i travel up that ways i keep hoping to find someone who knows. :)

most store brand sausages are way too wimpy for me. one local brand of Polish sausage i do like is from Bay City, MI Krysiak's House, is good. i don't like it cooked nearly as much as right from the package.

the other recipe i tried to get decent was gyros, but with lamb being so expensive i don't do that very often any more.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should travel the country to get an understanding of Portuguese kale soup :). At first, I used a smoked sausage. It was okay. I'm also okay with experimenting with different kales and different starches added.

Where I lived for a time on the California coast, there were Portuguese American fishermen. I don't remember any sausages! I did learn to eat Martha Washington clams :). Probably un-American but that led me to little neck and razor clams and oysters :).

Meanwhile, the Italian dairy farmers were making cheese! And bread! ... oh, I guess those were the bakers.

Steve, in a wonderful world

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
sausage and about anything is so good. love cabbage too.

since you come from Italian family are you familiar with the sweet italian sausage that has annise/annisette/anise seeds in it? i've been trying to find a version like i had up north and nobodies recipe comes close for some reason and i can't figure out what i'm not getting right (since all store bought sausage i've tried doesn't come close either).

unfortunately the place where i used to get this on pizzas burned down many years ago and since it was rebuilt the food is all different.
Every sweet Italian sausage here has anise seeds.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Every sweet Italian sausage here has anise seeds.

yes, thanks, that does seem common ingredient, but the sausage i am thinking goes beyond that somehow and i've never been able to figure it out - at least not yet...

been trying to figure this out for years. :) next time i get back up north i'm going to stop in several places and keep asking around some more up there it just may be a family recipe that never got out of that restaurant or that area. if it weren't an 8hr drive to get there i'd have made more progress.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another vote for Andouille.

Rabbit, Andouille, and Okra Gumbo.

RUNuts

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While I had andouille and enjoyed it, I looked it up because of the experience. Ring baloney is a good term. Again, not my favorite parts to eat. A good smoked sausage is wonderful for flavor.

A little bit of pig grease goes a long way to improve flavor. A good rue made with sausage grease, already highly seasoned, is a delight. Cooked all day long. I'll try the rabbit, but duck and sausage gumbo is delectable, delightful and delicious.

bon appetit!

Latest posts