Recipes for VERY FILLING meals

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep reading.
Nobody expects you to live on smoothies alone. If you don't want to consume them, by all means steer clear. But to state that science supports your position about fiber is narrow minded. It clearly doesn't.

I believe AMKuskas point in her links were that they were not talking about fiber but about the sugar.

my main point in this thread was responding to satiety, i.e. feeling full longer, for which fiber is very important.

the other aspect of my comments relating to this thread that i consider important is the topic of glycemic index and how that relates to feeling full and what are called sugar spikes/crashes. people who have messed up blood sugar regulation systems notice these things, but how you get messed up to begin with is by eating too much sugar.

the rest of it is purely commentary or sidetracks IMO.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's the fiber that counts for a lot and no smoothies and juicing should not be considered healthy they destroy the fiber -

you can disagree all you want, the science has been done,

This is what you said that triggered my response.

I agree, we all consume too much sugar, processed and otherwise.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is contrary to most of the advice you are getting, but I have found that feeding lots of carbohydrates just lets a person get hungry again faster.
Meat, eggs, milk and cheese will work better at filling you up and staying full.
Looks like @flowerbug has the same general advice. I remember starting my day off with cereal and toast, and being hungry again by 9am.

I agree so much with this!!!

I raised 3 boys on one pretty low income...considered poverty level, actually. The foods I could afford to feed were mostly starchy foods~pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.

Not so good and it raised boys pretty much addicted to carbs, though they did get VERY healthy meals at their grandparent's who watched them for me while I was at work until they were in their teens...and it was in the teens when you couldn't fill them up, so the starches were the staple, sad to say.

So, my advice is to give nutrient dense proteins and fats, foods high in fiber, if you want to put that appetite to rest and raise a kid that doesn't have problems later in life...my boys are all overweight as I type this..a couple VASTLY overweight.

Eggs, meat, coconut oil, animal fats, olive oil, yogurt(plain has no added sugar and can be used in dips, salad dressings, on top of Mexican foods, etc.), beans are high in fiber, so even though they are carbs they also are so very good for you...so big pots of chili, big pots of chicken soup or veggie beef soup, breads that are easy to make~quick, flat breads that can be fixed and done very shortly that don't contain as much sugar as traditional homemade breads.

Sandwiches are good but try to do them in the form of lettuce wraps, instead of using too much breads.

Cheeses provide fats and protein, so adding them to dishes can increase nutrient density. Tacos, burritoes, Mexican soups...all of these contain cheese, meat, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, peppers and the bread used is very thin and doesn't contain much sugar, if any. And kids LOVE Mexican foods.

Cottage cheese is good if they'll eat it...dress it up with bacon, spices, etc. to make for a great side dish.

Omelettes for breakfast are a big hit and contain all the essentials for a nutrient dense meal and they go great with a low cal flat bread.

Thin crust pizzas with a lot of meat, cheese, and veggies on it...also a more healthy alternative to most of the thick crust or pan style pizzas.

For a great dip there's one involving Hormel chili w/beans or without, cream cheese, shredded taco cheese, and salsa that my boys beg for...actually, anyone who tastes it begs for more. It's just one can of the chili, one pack of cream cheese, cheese, med. salsa and lay it into a casserole style dish in layers and nuke it for 10 min. I add jalapenos too but your boys don't like spicy, so you could change the salsa to mild and leave the jalapenos out.

It's not expensive, you can turn them loose with a bag of tortilla chips and let them go to town on it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, I went to get my breakfast bars and found them completely gone. My son, eyes wide, said, "But I had to eat them all. There was no milk!"

Because he drank all the milk.

For dinner he ate two HUGE plates of spaghetti, all of his bread, and then I caught him walking off with my bread off my plate!

He got a whack upside the head for stealing food off my plate, but the fact of the matter is...he's utterly starving, and there is no amount of food that fills him. Any ideas on some very, VERY filling foods that I can make in mass amounts?
Off hand, I would say bread and pasta are not very filling. I make my our bread and rolls from spelt flour. Spelt is very filling. Anything made from white flour is not filling at all and is devoid of any of the original nutrients in the flour. You may think make your own bread is too much work for a busy family family. But once you get in a rhythm it take no time at all. More protein will be satisfying. You can make protein bars for a fraction of what you can buy them for. Sounds like a teenager. Get him involved in cooking.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
You may think make your own bread is too much work for a busy family family. But once you get in a rhythm it take no time at all.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I raised 3 boys, kept a house, vehicle, land and worked full time, went to school full time~all at the same time. But, I also found time to make homemade bread~NOT in a bread machine~ and then taught my boys to do the same. By the end they could make it as good as I could and some days even better.

Time spent watching TV or on the phone or computer is better spent in making more wholesome food for the family and it WILL pay off. They get to see how much time it takes to make food, they see how much it means to you and they tend to waste less and appreciate it more.

The rule when the boys were teens, whoever ate the most of the bread had to make it the next time. That cut down on any given boy using bread as a meal, which on in particular was prone to do...he'd mix up peanut butter and honey and sit down to consume 4 pieces of bread with that on it. :thThat's when I made the bread rule. :rolleyes:

But, it CAN be done and quite easily if you get it in your head to make large batches, freeze what you are not using immediately, and plan for bread making days.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
In my simplistic way, I found that stir-fries fit well with gardening.

Splashing some broth in during cooking is always helpful. Of course, rice plays a role during cooking or under the stir-fry. Having a rice cooker, regularly used, plays an important role.

Of course, there are other starches - like noodles. Rice or pasta with the other ingredients can go into a casserole and the oven. Broth adds a lot of flavor, and can be used in cooking the pasta.

Lots of broth? Soup! Same ingredients ... with multiple choices for everything, flavors can vary. There is no reason to be bored and, additionally, leftovers have a role to play throughout :).

Steve

Have you ever tried making it IN the rice cooker?
I've tossed in frozen leftover chicken, frozen veggies, some water chestnuts, used broth as the liquid - added the rice and let it rip. When I came back in from the barn I had a 'version' of stirfry ready to go.
Fresh veggies - other than something hearty like carrots and onions - will probably get mushy....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I raised 3 boys, kept a house, vehicle, land and worked full time, went to school full time~all at the same time. But, I also found time to make homemade bread~NOT in a bread machine~ and then taught my boys to do the same. By the end they could make it as good as I could and some days even better.

Time spent watching TV or on the phone or computer is better spent in making more wholesome food for the family and it WILL pay off. They get to see how much time it takes to make food, they see how much it means to you and they tend to waste less and appreciate it more.

The rule when the boys were teens, whoever ate the most of the bread had to make it the next time. That cut down on any given boy using bread as a meal, which on in particular was prone to do...he'd mix up peanut butter and honey and sit down to consume 4 pieces of bread with that on it. :thThat's when I made the bread rule. :rolleyes:

But, it CAN be done and quite easily if you get it in your head to make large batches, freeze what you are not using immediately, and plan for bread making days.
I recently heard my daughter say to someone, "Oh, we had homemade bread all the time." Nice.

Latest posts