Recipes for VERY FILLING meals

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even commercial “bran flakes” are loaded with sugar.... They like to add phrases like “no sugar added” or “X% less sugar”. Can’t avoid sugar but can reduce. Only bread I can eat without sugar spikes are what I make..... salt and sugar increase consumption and sales.

5g of sugar per serving in the el cheapo store brand we get vs. 31g per serving in the raisin bran. the sweetened cereal i was getting has 11g per serving but i can tell the difference in how i feel by mixing it with the bran flakes. it will probably take me a year to finish off what i have.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
A cheap and filling meal or snack are brown rice, bean and cheese burritos. They are mostly pintos that are cooked from dry beans (I use the crockpot and let them cook all day). The brown rice is probably one fourth of the bean volume, and grated cheese is added until it looks creamy.
I just cooked up a gallon of beans in the CP and made 12 fat burritos from half of that. I freeze them and use them for easy dinners when I know I will be working all day and too exhausted to make a regular dinner. I add salt, chili powder, and garlic powder, but you can customize to suit any taste preferences.

We use unsweetened applesauce on pancakes and french toast. Once in a while I may splurge on a pint of real maple syrup. but have never bought the artificial syrups. Too much sugar imo.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
We tried to get rid of sugar completely, and it was impossible. I can't grow enough food on my lot to replace everything, and there is almost nothing that doesn't have sugar snuck into it. I'm not going to make my own bread, or live like Laura Ingles, because of sugar.

Bean burritos are definitely a favorite here! Keep the recipes coming. We'll be trying them out this week.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to be contrary, but some of us were forced with the decision, reduce sugar significantly, go on drugs or face consequences of sugar. This is not an arbitrary choice. 30M are undiagnosed pre diabetic or diabetic in USA-best estimates. (End of commercial.)

Good luck with feeding a young male. Just throw food at him & stay out of the way-what my Dad told young wife to farmer I worked for. She called afraid she would make something I wouldn’t like. Good luck with that....

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the point isn't to get rid of all sugar as the brain needs those calories, but to gradually reduce it so that it doesn't cause issues later in life. if you do it gradually likely nobody will even notice it until they eventually go eat someplace else and say "Wow that has a lot of sugar in it!"

nothing wrong with a good ripe banana or fruits or such either, at least they have other nutrients and fiber. it's the fiber that counts for a lot and no smoothies and juicing should not be considered healthy they destroy the fiber - the benefits of juicing is that you can often juice low calorie things and if you use that as a meal replacement for a high fat/high calorie meal then that is where the dieter comes out ahead... for a while... :) also a lot more trace nutrients in that kind of juice than refined sugar and water or corn syrup mixed with flavorings and then pawned off as something good to drink.

we grew up on Koolaide and other sugary drinks and once in a while now i try some punch or juice and i've gotten off sugar enough now that they're all too sweet. lemonaide mixes i cut about 2/3 with more water and i probably could just use straight lemon juice now but i prefer just plain water.

i'll always vote for a bean and cheese burrito, brown rice is ok in moderation too so @thistlebloom's burritoes sound pretty good to me. i like some fresh onion and hot sauce on them.

Last edited:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
no smoothies and juicing should not be considered healthy they destroy the fiber -

I have to disagree with this statement. If you make a smoothie in a high speed blender you do not destroy fiber. It will break it down, but it doesn't go anywhere. It actually enhances absorption.

However, if you use an extraction juicer then you will be separating fiber from juice.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to disagree with this statement. If you make a smoothie in a high speed blender you do not destroy fiber. It will break it down, but it doesn't go anywhere. It actually enhances absorption.

However, if you use an extraction juicer then you will be separating fiber from juice.
Yup

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to be contrary, but some of us were forced with the decision, reduce sugar significantly, go on drugs or face consequences of sugar. This is not an arbitrary choice. 30M are undiagnosed pre diabetic or diabetic in USA-best estimates. (End of commercial.)

How are you being contrary? I'm sure there are a lot of people who absolutely must live without sugar, and many more who are willing to make sacrifices to live sugar free.

I don't believe sugar is healthy, but I also don't have the time to spend making my own bread every couple of days, or the $$ to buy the stuff that doesn't have sugar in it.

we grew up on Koolaide and other sugary drinks and once in a while now i try some punch or juice and i've gotten off sugar enough now that they're all too sweet.

I remember drinking kool-aid as a kid and adding MORE sugar to it. I also added more sugar to sugared cereals and snuck my mom's soda whenever I could. It's a wonder I'm not dead!

Somehow I lived, and last year my glucose test was good. Hopefully the sugar in my bread and coffee creamer won't kill me.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

you can disagree all you want, the science has been done, the fiber which means slower absorption of sugars is destroyed by juicing in a blender or a juice machine, yes there are fragments of fiber left, but they are different than if you ate the whole piece of fruit or vegetable instead. your teeth will mash things, but it doesn't destroy the fiber the same way a machine does. so the benefit of juicing or blending is much less in comparison to if you'd just ate the thing whole. like i did say in my comments the other benefit is purely on the calorie side if you are using vegetable/low calorie things in your smoothies or juicer then you will be improving a diet, but in my opinion it isn't much of a gain if you've lost the fiber that regulates the sugar absorption and also helps make you feel full for longer. most people don't get enough fiber anyways.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
How are you being contrary? I'm sure there are a lot of people who absolutely must live without sugar, and many more who are willing to make sacrifices to live sugar free.

I don't believe sugar is healthy, but I also don't have the time to spend making my own bread every couple of days, or the $$ to buy the stuff that doesn't have sugar in it.

I remember drinking kool-aid as a kid and adding MORE sugar to it. I also added more sugar to sugared cereals and snuck my mom's soda whenever I could. It's a wonder I'm not dead!

Somehow I lived, and last year my glucose test was good. Hopefully the sugar in my bread and coffee creamer won't kill me.

a small amount of sugar in bread isn't likely to make that much difference and the same with creamer, but i've managed to get off sugar in coffee finally the past few weeks and i can tolerate it. the creamer stuff i can sit and eat it right from the container. lol but i don't, getting away from that too gradually. it doesn't have that much sugar in it either compared to what i was doing before. i could pile the creamer in there and then put 2-3 heaping teaspoons of sugar in about 16oz of very weak coffee. now that i'm not eating sugar cereals in the morning or having the sugar in my coffee i'm not crashing later in the morning. i much prefer not crashing so this is worth it to me.

i used to pile the sugar on cereals too and just sit and eat the sugar right out of the sugar bowl. i liked brown sugar and butter on oatmeal (and still do).

well, sorry to have wandered on this thread, :) hope you find things to make your munchkins will eat and be full. :)

Last edited: