Recommended My Nephew Problems/ More Work

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have people ask me if I would wire a barn or something around their house, I always tell them I can do it and it will be to code, but I am not licensed or insured.. couple have said no problem and they are happy to sign a waiver releasing me..

Yes you have be very careful when it comes to electrical wiring you can’t take short cuts....your dad is wise

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I gave him the money because he did not ask for despot because she was a friend of mine, for that reason he also gave her a very good price. Because I recommend the job I felt responsible, can not help the way I feel. He has came a along way from the lying, hustling street kid he was. I have been trying to instill a work ethic in him since he was 19. It has been a slow long road but he changed. I did not want him to do a great job and get ripped off by MY FRIEND. If this was a client he got on his own I would not have given him the money.

i would be very proud of the job he did too, and i would tell him that flat out. :)

i do understand why you feel as you do. just seems odd to me that he doesn't get the rest from her. he quoted her the price, she accepted that, the job is done, so she should pay it. just like if she bills someone she expects them to pay it...

now, a celebratory dinner on you for $200 would sound like quite the bash. :)

hope he enjoys it and doesn't spend all of it in one place.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This does not apply to your nephew.

In Calif, its illegal to ask for or receive renumeration up front. If you are licensed, they will take suspend your license. If you are unlicensed, then the customer has rights to call into the State and have you investigated as to why you are posing as a licensed tradesman. Lots of stings this way catch the unlicensed...

i've never heard of this before. don't know if it applies in MI or not.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked it up. I'm slightly wrong. In 40 years of being a licensed painting contractor, hubs never asked for up front money. Still doesn't.

SACRAMENTO —The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) is alerting California consumers who are considering hiring a painter, landscaper – or any other type of construction contractor – that it is illegal to ask for or accept a down payment of more than 10 percent of the total home improvement contract price or $1,000, whichever is less.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever gone into a store and they have a sign minimal amount ($10) if you want to use a credit card ? That is illegal if they take credit card they have to take for any mount.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
He didn't give her a "discount". He quoted her a price that he was willing to do it for and she agreed. That's a bid. You can get several bids from contractors and then go with the one you like. It's done everyday in the construction world.

Nyboy, you should stay out of it. Let her deal with him directly and he can make whatever payment arrangements seem right to him.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am staying out. I did remind him she paid and in less then a week. He is at point where he needs every client he can get. I remember starting out I would take any dog no matter what problems it might of had. Was lucky never badly bitten. Now I can tell a trouble making client please go some where else, but it took years of hard work to get here. They have each others numbers I am out

Latest posts