Recommended My Nephew Problems/ More Work

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dr called me today has tree down at hospital . Nephew did such good job wants him back. :he:he:he:he I said don't know how busy he is you have to call him. I am out of it and staying that way

wisdom has found thee! :)

if he asks for advice say double the quote you first think and add half since she's a PITA on paying also to make up for being stiffed on first job.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
But he wasn't stiffed. He got paid, and in cash. Now the $200 he hadn't yet collected should be paid before any negotiations for the second job (if it hasn't been paid already).
Please excuse my bluntness, but I think this is a tempest in a teapot. He did the job Thursday, he got paid cash on Monday. I don't think that is unreasonable at all.

I know exactly what you mean Alex, about working your business up from scratch and taking the jobs that come because you can't pick and choose.
It's hard work and you can get a little bruised and battered on the way, literally and figuratively.

I think you have good reason to be proud of your nephew and this business he's started.
But we know that he can't charge what arborists who have established reputations and long standing businesses charge. He's starting out, and it seems like he is doing it right by doing a good clean job that he can be proud of. His day will come when he can cherry pick the jobs he wants and demand a higher fee.

I respect you for being there for him and counseling him. You're a good uncle.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
^^^ double like the above post. If he's at the 15% tax rate, he would have paid $300 in Fed taxes for that job. Don't know what the NY tax rate is. In Calif, its 9%.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder what my nephew's life would have turned out if he had support of my family growing up. Both my brother and sister had sons. My brother and his wife separated before my nephew was a year old. My brother paid no child support or had anything to do with his son. He was raised by drug and alcoholic mother who threw him out at 15 when he wouldn't stop fighting with her crackhead boyfriend. Living on the streets he did things no child should have to do. for 18 years no one in my family had any contact with him. He got in to serious trouble and was looking at a long prison term when he called me for help. I hired a very expensive lawyer who kept him out of prison. My other nephew was raised by both parents and always around family. He graduated collage with high honors and got a job in finance right out of school.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
some people come up the hard way. i'm glad things have turned around for him.

one thing for sure though, when you are on your own you do learn what your limits are and how to survive no matter what. if i'd have stayed around family those years i wouldn't have learned nearly as much. Mom would have taken care of me and i'd never have had to live in a residence hall. or i could have gotten stuck in the family business...

i could have gone a bad route too, but decided to go to college and stopped letting the anger ruin my life. it didn't really get settled though until i was about 25.

Latest posts