Rediscovering The Classics

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My granny used to call them "pinies"....I loved that! She had many hillbilly ways of speaking that I still adore and wish I could incorporate into my own speech and still have it sound natural, but, alas, it just doesn't roll off my tongue like it did hers.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder how my great grandmother Lizzy Pernicia spoke. She was from Appalachia. I wonder why she went by both names and what her parents were thinking when they named her Pernicia ... :)

Grandma Illma ;) called the zinnia, zē-nyə so that's how I think of them. However, when I'm talking to others I refer to them as zi-nē-ə. I do know a little girl with that name and her parents use the zē-nyə pronunciation ;).

Pē'-ə-nē
Yeah, me too.

I also remember the ants.

That's because they always have bugs, including aphids ... One of my jobs as a wholesale florist was checking the flowers coming in. I told management that I would always reject California peonies if I looked at them for bugs. If they insisted on ordering them I would have to stop looking. Thankfully, they were not a big part of the trade.

They have their place ... outdoors. And, they seem to hold up well against the bugs but it must shorten their flower life.

Steve