Rediscovering The Classics

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are several other plants that shoot their seeds. It is one of my favorite plant dispersal methods and it rather insures that seedlings won't be stuck under mother's shadow all their lives.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
A man who worked for telephone company climbing poles ( around here are buried under poison ivy ) told me jewelweed was great to stop ich of PI

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was out pulling weeds in them yesterday, NyBoy.

Now, how do you pronounce the word zinnia?
  1. zi-nē-ə
  2. zi-nyə
  3. zē-nē-ə
  4. zē-nyə
digitZ'

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Peonies. When I was young everyone had a huge row of peonies bordering their yard. I love how lush and decadent their blossoms and the scent are, but not how quickly they degrade after they blossom...wish they would hang around longer as a cut flower.

That smell is the smell of my childhood, especially at Grandma's house....she used Dove soap, so her bathroom always smelled like peonies and she had a huge, lush row of the flower bordering her yard.

I can't get peonies to grow here to save my soul....I've tried and tried and it just won't happen. I love the pink ones the best.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee I have to large bushes of peonies, they where here when I bought the house. A client told me his grandmother lined the walkway to her front door in peonies. 2 decades later he passed the house and could not believe the peonies where still there. He knocked on the door and told the owners his grandmother use to own the house, asked to buy the peonies and replace with anything they wanted. That fall he sent his lanndscaper over to transplant the peonies. Now they are part of his garden.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 6-7 varieties of peonies. I love them as well! Bring back memories from the past, although, I don't remember which relative had them. They are the easiest of plants to grow (once established, Bee) and stunning in the landscape -- at least until the first downpour. I expect to see most of mine dragging the ground this morning. We had thunderstorms pass through last night.

I also remember the ants. I don't see many on my flowers, but I remember them covering the ones in my youth.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was out pulling weeds in them yesterday, NyBoy.

Now, how do you pronounce the word zinnia?
  1. zi-nē-ə
  2. zi-nyə
  3. zē-nē-ə
  4. zē-nyə
digitZ'

I pronounce it like #1.
How do you say peonies?

Snapdragons are a good classic to me. My sister showed me how to pick the head off and make them "talk" in grandmas garden.